Mystery patch - Vietnam era

River Patrol

This one has escaped identification. Any ideas? Do you think it is unfinished in the red lettering?

unknown3.jpg

I think the meaning and symbolism is quite clear! You just have to stare at it for awhile longer! LOL!

I think your assumption that this is an unfinished patch is valid.

The shape of the shield suggests it is for a USAF unit. But beyond that, I have no idea....

I have a close friend who was a USAF vet stationed at Udorn. She said the troops could walk off post and have any design they wanted cranked out over night. This lead to a lot of odd ball stuff that has just never been documented. According to her "Every little six man shop had their own little pocket patch... as far as the Commander was concerned if it kept the troops happy and they did their job all the better, so be it." So much for enforcing the regs for "authorized" patches.

BTW... if you want to see a selection of odd USAF patches from SEA, check this out...

http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/patches.html

One other thought about the patch above.... the lightening bolt striking a tree reminds me of that tree cutting incident on the Korean DMZ in which a US Officer was killed. Some novelty patches were made at the time.

vintageproductions

This is a Army unit pocket patch. If I remember right it was id'ed in one of the early VICN's. Will have to check, but I think it was a service unit.

I've had guesses from a unfinished VN S&H Greenstamp patch to the 1st VN Lumberjack battalion.....which are alll good tongue-in-cheek guesses, but no one has pinned it down yet. All is good as long as it doesn't represent something like a Joy Division.

Bob, I check all the VICNs that I have (I think I have a complete set), but didn't see this patch.

I'm not falling for that old trick, Gil. IF I stare at this anymore, I think I'll go blind.

Guest Legion72

I have seen a few of these over the years. Richard Smith and Harry McAllister had them in their collections. They did not have any idea as to its identification and I have been unable to establish one myself.

The tree cutting incident on the Korean DMZ, which resulted in the death of a US Army officer, doesn't quit get it for me. Any conjecture on my part would just be laughable.

How about a Engineer unit that ran a forestry company ( my father commanded one in WWII)and they were number one in fast tree cutting?

How about some duffers at the Saigon Country Club who took cover under a tree during a storm and suffered a near miss?

How about an ID on the script "S" or is that a Musical symbol?

Maybe some drug crazed Smack Freak was struck by lightning while he lay zoncked-out under a tree and made a comemrative patch to remember the eventful day?

Maybe Cecil Smyth had it made just so collectors would spend endless days pouring through past editions of Vietnam Magazine, looking at every photograph with magnifier, trying to spot the illusive patch being worn?

Maybe someone really does know what it is and they are withholding valueable information?

Not much help.

Maybe Cecil Smyth had it made just so collectors would spend endless days pouring through past editions of Vietnam Magazine, looking at every photograph with magnifier, trying to spot the illusive patch being worn?

Isn't that fun to you? It is for me....I'm the type that still gets a kick from searching through patch bins and walking away with great patches for a couple bucks.

Maybe someone really does know what it is and they are withholding valueable information?

I'm sure there is someone in the world that knows the meaning behind it, but I doubt if they are purposefully withholding information about it......almost like conspiracy theories!

BTW: Welcome to the Forum!