Post your Liasion Pilot wings

John Cooper

Angus & Coote

Probably not the thread for it, but that example does not have the reverse features I associate with original A&C wings.

Regards

Mike

What specifically bothers you? The "Angus & Coote" debate has been a big topic in the past. Dave

Probably not the thread for it, but that example does not have the reverse features I associate with original A&C wings.

Regards

Mike

What specifically bothers you? The "Angus & Coote" debate has been a big topic in the past. Dave

Regards

Mike

There is a characteristic flaw (at least in the pilot wings) that can help differentiate between the old and new Angus & Coote wings. Here is a link to an interesting conversation about the A&C service pilot wing with a repop and a vintage wing side by side. The conversation gets a bit ugly towards the end, but I think the consensus is clear. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...;hl=a&C

Patrick

There is a characteristic flaw (at least in the pilot wings) that can help differentiate between the old and new Angus & Coote wings. I can't recall if that also extends to the L, G, and S wings by this company, but I think it may.

Patrick

What is this characteristic flaw?

Dave

What is this characteristic flaw?

Dave

I think if you check out the thread I linked to, you can find it. Its on the back of the wing.

Sadly, I know for sure its not found in the A&C air crew wings and I don't know about any of the other ratings. However, it does seem to be characteristic for the pilot series.

I am hesitant to broadcast what that difference is as I assume the next wave of fakes will have corrected that problem to some extent.

Patrick

I think if you check out the thread I linked to, you can find it. Its on the back of the wing.

Sadly, I know for sure its not found in the A&C air crew wings and I don't know about any of the other ratings. However, it does seem to be characteristic for the pilot series.

I am hesitant to broadcast what that difference is as I assume the next wave of fakes will have corrected that problem to some extent.

Patrick

Understood ~ I will review that thread again, as I do not recall reading that information myself - always good to cover all the bases. This particular wing checked out in all the ways I am familiar with in determining a period original Coote vs. the noted repros. It checked out in size, weight, pin, hozzle, hallmark, and (honest) age wear, but I'll take another look. The Coote repros I have run into have been quickly detectable (for me) and have a few differences from this particular piece. Thanks for your comments ~ Dave

Looking at the Pasquale Flight Nurse (not), I checked out the link from John Cooper to the *************** Gallery. I was dismayed to see they make a repro of the Juarez Liaison. I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the wing that I have long before the internet. Anyway, I’m posting larger pics for better detail. Jim

post-20555-1317743491.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting yet another example I think we have a great selection of makers that anyone in need of a reference would be hard pressed to find any other place with the exception of Bob's site.

Cheers

John

• 3 years later...

Hello Hardheaded,

I believe the Meyer style Liaison Pilot wing you posted above is a more recent Meyer restrike. Your illustration is missing a number of details which I would expect to see with a WWII era Meyer made badge:

1. The "STERLING" mark is too large. Meyer did use a variety of STERLING marks over the years, but with their original Liaison, Glider & Service Pilot badges, they used a much smaller stamp.

2. It doesn't appear your illustration has a cam-stop style pin on the reverse to prevent it from swinging open more than 45 degrees or so.

3. I don't see the two small raised "speed-bump" protrusions on the reverse which Meyer included to help mark where the pin and catch should be applied. (I've not seen a Meyer restrike which included these small but distinctive marks.)

The various waves of Meyer restrikes and repros infiltrating our hobby over the past thirty years has soured many a collector. (I have a couple of these stinkers tucked away as well.) But also know there are still beautiful authentic Meyer examples out there waiting to be sought and found.

post-108826-0-01850800-14476086571.jpg

Here's a couple of close-up images of an authentic WWII era Meyer-made Liaison Pilot. Note the size of the "STERLING" mark; the pin-cam block; and the two speed-bump looking protrusions just inside where the pin and catch are attached to the wing itself.

IMG_5559a.jpg

IMG_5561.JPG

Here's a couple of close-up images of an authentic WWII era Meyer-made Liaison Pilot. Note the size of the "STERLING" mark; the pin-cam block; and the two speed-bump looking protrusions just inside where the pin and catch are attached to the wing itself.

Thank You Very Much! rustywings. I really appreciate the lesson learned!!!

I'll be taking these back as they are guaranteed WW2. Fortunately I have a no hassel return :)

HH