Bastogne Army Barracks Museum 'Nuts Cave'

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Since the disbanding of the Artillery Unit stationed in the Bastogne Barracks, the entire complex has been taken over by the Belgian Royal Army Museum.

The entire armor collection of the museum was transfered to the barracks and a team of mechanics are now restoring vehicles on a daily basis.

The buildings that were used by the 101AB Div during the siege of the town in December 1944 are being refurbished to look as they did during the Battle of the Bulge.

Using original or very good reproduction items some displays have been installed in the original location where Gen McAuliffe spoke the infamous words "NUTS" in answer to the German demand for surrender.

The basement of the building where the divisional HQ was located is now known as the 'Nuts Cave'.

Meanwhile work continues on other displays in the barracks.

The barracks are open to the public every day, except on Mondays and there are guided tours several times a day (9 & 10AM, 1 & 2PM)

Just park your car outside and walk up to the guard house and they will let you in.

Addres:

Caserne Heintz , Belgian Military Museum, MRA

Rue de La Roche 40

6600 Bastogne

Belgium

The barracks are located across the street from the old city cemetery.

Google Maps Link: http://g.co/maps/jffj6

Johan Willaert

The actual room where the Divisional HQ Officers had their X-Mas dinner.

I have been told they will replace the tableware with an original Officers' field mess kit as it was, anbd add mannequins to the display in the future....

post-92-1316350723.jpg

post-92-1316350731.jpg

Johan, Excellent Information there and Thanks for sharing it with us :thumbsup:

That will diffneatly have to be next on the list of places to visit Belgium and the Netherlands..

• 2 months later...
Johan Willaert

Someone posted this over at Trigger Time and I thought it looked just awesome...

Just in time for the 67th Battle of the Bulge Commemorations next weekend, they added some very realistic mannequins to the scene...

post-92-1323073698.jpg

Hi Johan, I had exactly the same idea as you had, sharing some pictures of this place of belgian and american history with our fellow forum members who can't, won't,... come and see it. I hope they will enjoy it as I did.

The place was opened during this last weekend for the annual commemorations of the battle of the Bulge with also extra exhibitions.

First picture is Bastogne Barracks during winter 1944-1945.

post-8590-1323686868.jpg