P-51 tragedy at Nevada Air Races

67Rally

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A World War II-era fighter plane flown by a veteran Hollywood stunt pilot plunged Friday into the edge of the grandstands during a popular air race, killing three people, injuring more than 50 spectators and creating a horrific scene strewn with smoking debris.

The plane, piloted by 74-year-old Jimmy Leeward, spiraled out of control without warning and appeared to disintegrate upon impact. Bloodied bodies were spread across the area as people tended to the victims and ambulances rushed to the scene.

Authorities were investigating the cause, but an official with the event said there were indications that mechanical problems were to blame.

Maureen Higgins of Alabama, who has been coming to the air races for 16 years, said the pilot was on his third lap when he lost control.

110916_air_race_crash_660.jpg

Galloping Ghost, P-51D

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A World War II-era fighter plane flown by a veteran Hollywood stunt pilot

Just saw some video of this air crash. It really looked horrific. Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured and their families.

ww2reproductions

I first saw the headlines on Australian ABC news website and though better check here and get a better perspective.

My thoughts and prayers go to those killed and injured.

To their familys.

And the loss of another fine machine.

Ok so now I know what P-51's look like when they crash.

Leo

Cobrahistorian

Unfortunately, I think this may be the death knell for racing at Reno. Truly a tragedy.

I'm not going to speculate on the cause of the crash, as there's plenty out there already. Loss of the P-51 is terrible, but it's only a machine, (it hasn't really been a warbird for years). Fortunately the loss of life was not significantly higher as it could have been.

Jon

Very sad, but... during airshows vast majority of accidents is caused by 60+/70+ pilots.

What is this statement based on?

It seems most accidents I have heard of are more modern aircraft flown by military pilots.

What is this statement based on?

It seems most accidents I have heard of are more modern aircraft flown by military pilots.

I think there is some merit to this. Just look at the average age of the Confederate Air Force pilots back in the 1970's-1980's and look at their track record. I remember back in 1990's, there was a pilot farming program in England to get younger airshow pilots in the air just for this reason. Fighters were built for 20 somethings, not 70 year old pilots.

Either one of two things happened. The pilot became incompacitated or the flight control cables severed. In all of the shots I have seen of the plane in it's dive, the flight controls are all neutral.

-Ski

Usually these Reno racers bear just a passing resemblance to their donor airframes...up-engined, cut down fuselages etc. However, let's not forget that this basic airframe was actually 65+ years old, no matter how highly maintained it was. I agree with the comments re "mature" pilots. I'm not sure what safeguards are put in place in the US by the FAA, but at the very least, anyone over 70 years of age should have to undergo a stringent annual medical. After all, you wouldn't expect anyone of that age to be driving in a Formula 1 or NASCAR race...would you? Just my humble opinion.

I think there is some merit to this. Just look at the average age of the Confederate Air Force pilots back in the 1970's-1980's and look at their track record. I remember back in 1990's, there was a pilot farming program in England to get younger airshow pilots in the air just for this reason. Fighters were built for 20 somethings, not 70 year old pilots.

Either one of two things happened. The pilot became incompacitated or the flight control cables severed. In all of the shots I have seen of the plane in it's dive, the flight controls are all neutral.

-Ski

I would like to know if there is statistical information available.

You have good eyes to have seen those flight controls. All I saw was a momentary blur as the aircraft went in.

I was a mechanic on the P-51 Risky Business from 1989 till we stopped Racing.

I knew Jimmy for many years, from our time in racing. He was absolutly one of the nicest and most talented guys there.

I have friends that saw the whole thing happen, and without going into details, I can tell you

it appears it was a flight control issue.

John

I was a mechanic on the P-51 Risky Business from 1989 till we stopped Racing.

I knew Jimmy for many years, from our time in racing. He was absolutly one of the nicest and most talented guys there.

I have friends that saw the whole thing happen, and without going into details, I can tell you

it appears it was a flight control issue.

John

John,

I'm very sorry for the lose of your friend.