my new Tanker helmets

1canpara

These two beauties just arrived last week, both sourced from different areas, the M-38 is from France and the camo one came from the east coast of the US.

Rick

post-9167-1316238613.jpg

I don't know much about these, can anyone tell me the era and model of the camo CVC? Are these goggles right for this lid?

post-9167-1316238631.jpg

post-9167-1316238653.jpg

and I'm looking for some goggles for the M-38 if anyone knows of any...

post-9167-1316239156.jpg

post-9167-1316238711.jpg

post-9167-1316238731.jpg

those are some killer helmets! :w00t: really like that camo and that WW2 one is a real nice one as well! :thumbsup: i can tell you that for the M-38 helmet needs B8 goggles and i know these had electronics too.

Philip :thumbsup:

Nice helmets Rick. The WW2 helmet needs a pair of R-14 receivers and a "Y" loom to complete it. Quite hard to find these days but they do show up from time to time..sometimes together, sometimes separately. As for goggles, the most typical WW2 type were Resistals...rather like aviation goggles in appearance, but they can be quite expensive, perhaps as much as you paid for the helmet itself?! Your best bet would be Polaroid multi-purpose goggles...grey sponge-rubber frames with interchangeable lenses. Ron Doyler was selling several pairs very recently. Might be worth PMing him? The classic B-8s were also used but there's some debate as to whether they made it to the ETO before VE day. Hope this helps?

Ian

Nice helmets Rick. The WW2 helmet needs a pair of R-14 receivers and a "Y" loom to complete it. Quite hard to find these days but they do show up from time to time..sometimes together, sometimes separately. As for goggles, the most typical WW2 type were Resistals...rather like aviation goggles in appearance, but they can be quite expensive, perhaps as much as you paid for the helmet itself?! Your best bet would be Polaroid multi-purpose goggles...grey sponge-rubber frames with interchangeable lenses. Ron Doyler was selling several pairs very recently. Might be worth PMing him? The classic B-8s were also used but there's some debate as to whether they made it to the ETO before VE day. Hope this helps?

Ian

Ian is correct. When I was collecting armored items, I searched through countless photos of tank crew members. 99% of the photos showed either resistals or polaroid multi purpose goggles. The resistals were slightly more popular early to mid-war but after that, it was about an even mix.

The other "1%" were a mix of dust goggles and various flight goggles obtained in unknown reasons.

The poloroids can be bought for $20-30.

(PS, I still have an archive of photos I can post if you are interested)

Justin

This is the info for your CVC helmet.

post-5-1316269960.jpg

post-5-1316269967.jpg

Thanks Craig, that's a great reference to this lid...I don't see a date on that spec sheet though, would it be VN or late-VN era?

...and seeing the original price on it makes me feel pretty good about what I paid for this one...a whopping $42 :thumbsup:

Rick

those are some killer helmets! :w00t: really like that camo and that WW2 one is a real nice one as well! :thumbsup: i can tell you that for the M-38 helmet needs B8 goggles and i know these had electronics too.

Philip :thumbsup:

Thanks Philip, I agree, the camo is pretty cool. Even though I'm really an M-1 guy, these suddenly have caught my interest so may keep watching for unique and marked ones.

cheers,

Rick

craig_pickrall
Thanks Craig, that's a great reference to this lid...I don't see a date on that spec sheet though, would it be VN or late-VN era?

...and seeing the original price on it makes me feel pretty good about what I paid for this one...a whopping $42 :thumbsup:

Rick

Some of these specs have easy readable dates and others have none at all. The only thing I see that looks like a date on this one is 72. It is on the specification line near the bottom of the sheet. That would be in the range of the others that I have. This particular group of specs ranged from about 69 or 70 into the mid 80's.

Rick, your Rawlings 1938 Pattern is in very good condition. The Camo helmet is also nice. It appears to be a DH-132 minus the headphone electronics and the boom mic. The DH-132 was introduced in 1973 however I have never seen any photo evidence that it was used in Vietnam. The camo pattern is typical of the modified woodland type camo schemes popular in armored units of the late 70's and 80's, particularly those units stationed in Europe. There should be evidence of where the boom mic was attached on the outside of one of the earpieces. If there is no evidence of this prior attachment then you could have an example of a DH-178 helmet which was an experimental attempt to create a protective CVC type helmet for the crews of self-propelled artillery. These helmets were based on the DH-132 but came without electronics, there were only 1400 of these made by the Gentex Corporation and the helmet was not adopted by the Army. Normally with the DH-132 series of helmets there is a white paper ID label glued to the rear interior of the helmet shell which can be viewed by pulling up the liner.

Larry

Nice additions Rick!! If you want, I can keep an eye out for a better, more complete liner for the CVC. I often see them here and there. And an interesting tidbit of trivia, the only thing that is accountable for with the CVC are the shells. The rest are considered expendable.

Rick, your Rawlings 1938 Pattern is in very good condition. The Camo helmet is also nice. It appears to be a DH-132 minus the headphone electronics and the boom mic. The DH-132 was introduced in 1973 however I have never seen any photo evidence that it was used in Vietnam. The camo pattern is typical of the modified woodland type camo schemes popular in armored units of the late 70's and 80's, particularly those units stationed in Europe. There should be evidence of where the boom mic was attached on the outside of one of the earpieces. If there is no evidence of this prior attachment then you could have an example of a DH-178 helmet which was an experimental attempt to create a protective CVC type helmet for the crews of self-propelled artillery. These helmets were based on the DH-132 but came without electronics, there were only 1400 of these made by the Gentex Corporation and the helmet was not adopted by the Army. Normally with the DH-132 series of helmets there is a white paper ID label glued to the rear interior of the helmet shell which can be viewed by pulling up the liner.

Larry

Thanks a ton Larry, this is great info! I'll check for the white label inside and see what it says. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to make tanker helmet or CVC lids a new collecting focus ('cause I'm still overwhelmed with all the learning and education around M-1 collecting ) but it is nice to shake up the war room once in awhile with some different headgear, and I really liked the idea of having comparative examples of armoured crew helmets! :thumbsup:

thanks again,

Rick

Nice additions Rick!! If you want, I can keep an eye out for a better, more complete liner for the CVC. I often see them here and there. And an interesting tidbit of trivia, the only thing that is accountable for with the CVC are the shells. The rest are considered expendable.

Thanks Hoove, I appreciate it. If you come across anything let me know, I may be interested. I do see the shells with no guts sometimes, and then I see the liners without shells, just not sure if the liners would fit the shells in all cases.

Lots to learn for sure, but as mentioned earlier, it's a nice switch-up from M-1's on occasion!

Rick

Any progress with the acquisition of goggles and receivers Rick?

Ian

working on the goggles with Ron, and also watching some on e-bay...missed the receivers, but I'll keep looking....no rush really, and I have to clear some stuff out before I buy more...plus I'm heading to the UK and Italy next month so need some 'buy' money for that trip :thumbsup:

thanks Ian,

Rick

General Apathy

post-344-1316379785.jpg

Nice helmets Rick. As for goggles, the most typical WW2 type were Resistals...rather like aviation goggles in appearance, but they can be quite expensive, perhaps as much as you paid for the helmet itself?! The classic B-8s were used but there's some debate as to whether they made it to the ETO before VE day. Hope this helps?

Ian

Hi Rick, Ian's correct on his goggle identification of what style of goggles are required for your helmet, these are the type of resistals to try and find.

And as stated by others it's a nice clean helmet you got.

ken