LE MESS, Battle of the Bulge Museum, Bastogne

Johan Willaert

Although the website says they should be moving the shop to the new museum, I've heard different versions about that. Anyway the old shop on the corner of the main square is closed now....

I don't know what the future of the shop is and I guess we'll all have to wait and see how it turns out...

Johan

Just came across another picture of Marco, I saw him this last June at the Vierville-sur-Mer militaria flea market, I just looked, although it had everything your little heart desires, the prices were out of my range. :(

Marco has the sailor hat on the left side, and I've got the blue baseball cap on, middle of picture.

20110604112507241dday.jpg

Getting back to Bastogne, a buddy of mine just got a new car, so it looks like we'll have to make a road trip there pretty soon. :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Hardly wrote, "If all goes well"... my buddy just called me, his brand new VW Polo, (he's lucky he can afford that, he's divorced with kid) a nice woman ran a stop sign in her BMW and smacked him pretty good, he's okay, his car is not, he's got a replacement car to drive around in, her insurance is covering everything, she admitted fault, now he's kinda jumpy, I'm kinda jumpy too, I was getting excited about this little roadtrip, I might have to smack him too, knock some sense into him. :w00t: Hope this works out.

Well, it all looks excellent, really top class, but... :think:

Is there even one word in this museum -- not to mention photograph or mannequin -- that Bastogne was not a nightmare of the land forces only? Is there something about the USAAF's 80th Troop Carrier Squadron crews of the C-47s? Is there something about larger AAF units as the 434th, 435th, 436th, 437th and 438th TCGs that resuplied then US infantry? Is there something about AAF's 67th TRG with their F-6s and their extremely risky recce missions in the 10/10 fog?

Is there something about the 439th and 440th TCGs' gliders that landed at Bastogne? What about L-Birds and "flying doctors" of the 4th Auxiliary Surgical Group that also landed there?

Regards

Gregory

Johan Willaert
Is there even one word in this museum -- not to mention photograph or mannequin -- that Bastogne was not a nightmare of the land forces only?

Yes, there is an USAAF mannequin and other USAAF gear...

For more comprehensive USAAF displays, they're probably waiting until you start a museum.... ;)

• 1 month later...

The mannequins make the difference. To see a guy standing there, and scrutinizing him up close... seeing the moist eyes, and expecting him to blink...

Pretty erie, frozen in time.

European museums, for what ever the reason is; have the most detailed and realistic displays for the most part.

They never cease to amaze me, very fine work there.

RC

And Johan, thanks for posting the photos!

Hi

I visited this museum this week and to be honest, it has blown me away....

The building just lends itself to the displays, and the displays...ahhhh.... Stunning.....

The new generation of museums being opened by collectors all over europe are really setting the standards for goverment run organisations.

I am not sure where the mannequins have come from, but they are life like, even down to the veins in there hands and the texture of there skin. They look like they humans that have just stopped breathing, almost creepy...

This museum has probaly just shot to the no 1 spot in my top 5 museums list. Museums like this really give me a buzz for collecting.....

If you get the time or make the time, it is well worth a visit.

Regards

Tom

• 1 year later...
Johan Willaert

I revisited this museum last weekend to see the added displays in the cellar... Large part of the cellar is now portraying an aid station, with some smaller displays showing troops holding out in buildings...

There's also a 'dark' room where visitors can experience being in a shelter during the bitter fighting in the Streets... (Sound & Light)

post-92-0-75240300-1387216475.jpg

post-92-0-17125400-1387216483.jpg