Army Enlisted Rank Insignia (Chevrons)

aclfan

Hello,

Is there a thread or other reference to tell what year a particular US Army rank would have been made? I ask because I see US Army enlisted rank patches that look WWII era, but seem to be made later. I have seen charts that show the various rank levels - WWII verses today, but not any that show patch differences from the 1940s, 50s, 60s, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry Neal

here is TIOH refrence and a good book.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Rank_pag...ankInsignia.htm

Chevrons: Illustrated History and Catalog of U. S. Army Insignia (Hardcover)

by William K. Emerson (Author)

there were also a series of short articles in the ASMIC Trading Posts a while back

The TIOH chevron Web site has scant information with too many errors and omissions. Emerson's book is the definitive source on U.S. Army chevrons. You can never be sure that you have correct information about Army chevrons until you refer to Emerson. You may be fortunate to find it in a nearby library. Good luck with that. If you want to have your own copy, which is a must for anyone seriously interested in this subject, standby for sticker shock: Expect to pay $250 or more for a used copy and unless Smithsonian brings out another edition, the price is bound to keep on going up.....

craig_pickrall

About a year ago I heard they were going to update and reprint Emerson's CHEVRONS. Anyone heard anything about that?

About a year ago I heard they were going to update and reprint Emerson's CHEVRONS. Anyone heard anything about that?

Yea, I also heard it was being updated for a reissue. I got my copy when it was brand new & everybody thought I was nuts for paying $50.00 for a book on chevrons. Guess who is laughing now? I've heard of xerox copies going for $100.00! w00t.gif

craig_pickrall

Larry, this is an attempt to answer your question with examples from my collection. It is probably more infomation than you really wanted but it is an area with many variations and spec changes.

post-5-1195252258.jpg

post-5-1195252264.jpg

craig_pickrall

In the 2nd and 3rd pics the camera is playing tricks and making the stripes look a dark green. They are a very light OD green and look closer to correct in the other pics.

post-5-1195252970.jpg

post-5-1195252978.jpg

post-5-1195252985.jpg

post-5-1195252994.jpg

post-5-1195253002.jpg