1943 shovel markings

Marchville1918

Marchville1918

Were all 1943 shovels marked with the manufacturer and date or were some unmarked? If some were left unmarked what period would this be from?

Are you asking about the M1943?

I ask because the M1910 was still in production and dated examples from 1943 do turn up.

On the 1943 model they were supposed to be marked with the manufacturer's name and the year. I have seen a few stamped so far off from where they are normally stamped that only part of the lettering even made it on the blade.

RC

Marchville1918

I am asking about the M1943 etool. Not the 1910 T handle shovel. I remember unmarked T handled shovels made in the 60's that were not army shovels at all, just made for campers (not even the same size blade), but I do not recall seeing any of the m43 etools like that.

If it doesn't have any markings then it's time to compare it to a known WWII example, since some were stamped lightly and in at least two cases I have seen were so far off center as to be practically off the blade.

There were commerical camping copies made in the 1960's-70s, some are marked some apparently are not. They usually have a hole near the top of the handle like an M-51 e-tool. The construction differs on the commerical examples and is especially noticable when placed side by side with a real shovel.

RC