In a Strange Land, The American Occupation of Germany

Bugme

I was given the honor of writing a review for this book. It's been published on several other sites and I thought I'd put it here also.

Alexander Barnes has provided an incredible glimpse of WWI that most people are not aware of. With his new book: “In a Strange Land, The American Occupation of Germany - 1918-1923” he opens the readers eye’s to a huge aspect of WWI history that has been neglected. While many books have been written and many divisional histories have been produced about the actions of the “doughboys” of WWI, very little is written about the occupation years following the war.

Mr. Barnes picks up where the war ends with the Armistice and continues on through the post-war years of Germany’s occupation by the American Forces in Germany (AFG) from 1918 to 1923. This book follows in meticulous detail the Third Army, later known as the AFG, and all the history that followed the Armistice.

When the war ended, Uncles Sam’s “Best” did not just board a ship and go home. Nearly a quarter million soldiers marched on into the Rhineland to take up occupation duties. Mr. Barnes Chronicles “General Pershing’s Army” as it transitioned from battle prepared warriors to a type of “police force” through the strange political years following WWI.

Mr. Barnes also details the 12 individual divisions and multiple regiments that made up the 3rd Army from the 1st Infantry Division to the 90th. Among those details are hundreds of period photographs, color photos of identified items in collections around the world, letters home & post cards that are all tied together to bring to life the great sacrifices made by our forces while being part of the occupation of Germany. Mr. Barnes has even included short biographies of some of the well known American participants who went on to be leaders in the next war to end all wars, WWII.

Also included in this historical chronicle and to help clarify things, are the roles of the French, Belgian and British Armies in the occupation. However, the focus remains on the American experience in the Rhineland.

This book is a must have for any collector or historian of WWI who is looking to expand their knowledge of WWI beyond the parameters of just the war years. The 336 glossy pages of this hardcover book are worth every penny invested into its purchase.

In_A_Strange_Land.jpg

Al showed the book to me a few weeks back and it's magnificent. Well written and well illustrated it combines rare source material on the Occupation with compelling original photos and period items and uniforms. It even covers an obscure and rare occupation newspaper that continued printing after the Stars and Stripes closed shop. It's well worth owning.

I'd also recommend one of the Moderators change the title of this thread, it should say WW I and not WW II.

I'd also recommend one of the Moderators change the title of this thread, it should say WW I and not WW II.

Wow, that's embarrassing. :blush: I changed "MY" mistake, thanks! ;)

Gents---

thanks for the kind words but something like this always requires a lot of help and the folks here on the forum who gladly shared pictures of their valuable collections for me to use deserve a lot of the praise.

Another forum member, Chuck Thomas, volunteered hours (and I really mean hours) of time to help me edit every word and every sentence for clarity and accuracy.

But most of all give credit to the Doughboys and Marines of the Third Army, who, less than week after the Armistice was signed, marched out of the wet, muddy Argonne and hiked through France and Luxembourg into Germany.

While the rest of the Allied world was celebrating, these guys had to saddle up and head into a defeated, potentially hostile country not knowing what reception they would meet. Along the way they were beset by foul weather, bad roads, the Spanish Flu and even some Bolshevik revolutionaries.

In spite of all difficulties, by 13 December 1918 they were crossing the Rhine and administering their portion of the German Rhineland. It's an honor to tell their story…..

Al

Gents---

thanks for the kind words but something like this always requires a lot of help and the folks here on the forum who gladly shared pictures of their valuable collections for me to use deserve a lot of the praise.

Another forum member, Chuck Thomas, volunteered hours (and I really mean hours) of time to help me edit every word and every sentence for clarity and accuracy.

But most of all give credit to the Doughboys and Marines of the Third Army, who, less than week after the Armistice was signed, marched out of the wet, muddy Argonne and hiked through France and Luxembourg into Germany.

While the rest of the Allied world was celebrating, these guys had to saddle up and head into a defeated, potentially hostile country not knowing what reception they would meet. Along the way they were beset by foul weather, bad roads, the Spanish Flu and even some Bolshevik revolutionaries.

In spite of all difficulties, by 13 December 1918 they were crossing the Rhine and administering their portion of the German Rhineland. It's an honor to tell their story…..

Al

And I really should have added special thanks are due to Ken Crane for letting me use some of his super Marne Division uniforms and patches, Chris Liontas for adding many of the 32nd Division Uniforms, Carl Panak for a sharing an 89th division uniform, Scott for the 3rd Army helmet and Chaplains uniform and Erick Eastes for sharing some great pictures and some "Marine Mail"...Semper Fi to all of you...

Al

• 4 weeks later...

I had to add this---one of the guys at work found this website Friday and sent it to me...

http://www.criticalpast.com/stock-footage-...,-Germany-1919-

It has film clips from WW1 and the occupation period---

if you are interested in WW1, the occupation or in US Army shoulder patches, you have to look at some of these clips especially the clip from the YMCA at the Coblenz train station and the snowy weather Rhine River cruise ---

Wait till you see all the different divisional, 3rd Army and Corps patches ---the film clips are surprisingly clear and for us uniform guys a real treasure trove of info---and neat to see the YMCA lady sewing on the doughboys overseas stripes on their heavy overcoats...

s/f

Al

Al, You were right, those were some amazingly rare clips of Coblenz during the occupation. The scenes in the library would make any WWI uniform or patch collector drool with all those different patches!

• 1 month later...

Gents (and ladies) I need some help again---I know, I know....Scott, Chuck, Ken, Erick, Rogier, Chris and the rest of you are asking "What now?"...but this time its not for me...

A gentleman whose Grandfather served in the occupation called me because he had seen the pictures of the Company M, 2nd Pioneer Infantry uniform that I used in the book. It turns out his grandfather was in that company and he was hoping I might have more Co M material that I didn't use in the book--unfortunately, almost all the pictures I have (or borrowed) of Pioneer Infantrymen are from the 56th and 54th regiments....

Do any of you have or know of any images of 2nd Pioneer Infantrymen that I can share copies of with this guy?

---he's not a collecter, he's just looking for copies of pictures in the chance that his grandfather might be in one of them.

s/f

Al

• 4 weeks later...
Gents (and ladies) I need some help again---I know, I know....Scott, Chuck, Ken, Erick, Rogier, Chris and the rest of you are asking "What now?"...but this time its not for me...

A gentleman whose Grandfather served in the occupation called me because he had seen the pictures of the Company M, 2nd Pioneer Infantry uniform that I used in the book. It turns out his grandfather was in that company and he was hoping I might have more Co M material that I didn't use in the book--unfortunately, almost all the pictures I have (or borrowed) of Pioneer Infantrymen are from the 56th and 54th regiments....

Do any of you have or know of any images of 2nd Pioneer Infantrymen that I can share copies of with this guy?

---he's not a collecter, he's just looking for copies of pictures in the chance that his grandfather might be in one of them.

s/f

Al

Al,

I've posted a request for 2nd Pioneer Infantry photos on a French WW1 US Forum. Who knows what turns up. Could you share the name of the soldier? That would help my French friends to search in their databases.

Rogier

Al,

I've posted a request for 2nd Pioneer Infantry photos on a French WW1 US Forum. Who knows what turns up. Could you share the name of the soldier? That would help my French friends to search in their databases.

Rogier

Rogier ---thanks--I'll dig it out and post later---as an update, I have managed to find a picture of Sergeant from Company M and shared that with my friend---

Later,

Al

Al,

Rogier

Rogier---the soldier in question is:

Cornelius J. Murphy A.S.N. 3-182-871, Company M ,2nd pioneer inf

Thanks again for all your help

Al