Harold F. Pitcairn Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum

MasonK

And this concludes our virtual tour.

In all seriousness, if you're ever in the Southeastern PA area, be sure to check out Wings of Freedom Aviation Museum. You won't be dissapointed!

Thanks for posting! I grew up in the area and used to bug my parents to drive me up to the fence so I could see the historic aircraft that were parked there. It's great that they now have this great museum.

Thanks, Gil! I'm glad I could share my experience with the forum.

I must have passed by the airbase 100's of times and always looked at the plane's displayed outside. Why I never stopped in to check out the museum is beyond me. And to give credit where credit is due, it was my wife who actually suggested we stop in!

The airbase would have an airshow every year up until about 3 or so years ago; The biggest act being the Blue Angels. My work had a two story building about a mile from the base and we would go onto the roof and watch as they practiced. You always knew when the airshow was coming because you'd hear and feel the plane's go over the building during their practice. I sure do miss that...

Don't know if you remember all the great vintage planes that used to be behind the fence, I think along York road (German Sea plane off the WWII Cruiser Prinz Eugen, Japanese Seaplane and of course the ME-262) They were there just sitting outside through at least the 70's.) My highlight was visiting my uncle who flew at that base until 1969 and being allowed to crawl all over those planes. Also Pitcairn's original field was off of Buck Road...a few towns over.....there is marker for the field but actually the field was farther down the road then the marker is today....in the 1970's they had a small air show at that original location along with light aircraft and the Marines brought in a helo. Lastly, an FYI there is a Pitcairn family member who owns a Stearman trainer he fly's in Bucks country (his father flew gliders until a few years ago).....so at least one member of the family still enjoys taking to the air. Thanks for showing these great pictures...since I get there often I'll have to visit Willow Grove again.

It was my pleasure, Dirk! Also, thanks for adding the additional information on the other Aircraft, Pitcairn field and his family. The ME-262 was actually there up until only a few months ago. As for the other field you mention, it is the first field Harold built, and is actually located in Bryn Athyn, PA, about 6 miles from the Horsham field.

It 's funny, because the Pitcairn's had always been a mystery to me until the advent of the Internet.

As a kid, you always heard stories about the Pitcairn family being albino inbred who married within the family to keep their money and trusts close. It was right of passage to try and go onto their property (Cairnwood) in Bryn Athyn, as there were horror stories of a pale white hand reaching through the fence to try and grab you and kids who were making out on the property being killed by hanging or worse.

Obviously this was all an urban legend, but it sure scared the hell out of you as a kid! In reality, most kids who tried to enter actually only made it to the gate and quickly ran off. And to the contrary of the stories of inbreeding, the Pitcairn's were actually a highly industrialist and respected family who helped to build up the areas in and around Bryn Athyn.

Amazing how over time stories like these can develop….

• 3 years later...

Great photos, thanks for taking the time to post all of them.

Looks like they have a great variety there, and that they also take excellent care of their display aircraft too.

Great to see.