Is this a USN VC-4 squadron patch? Nightcappers

Siamundo

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the delayed posting. I was searching for the same patch just out of curiosity and came across this forum.

I can try to get more info, but this linked page has my grandfather in the two photos. Upper photo: he is in the middle, and right photo: on the right.

He was on the Midway. I have paged through his copy of the book and used his photos when i was in school as a kid. I don't think he has any of his flight gear anymore.

-tim

• 2 years later...

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but for what its worth, I can shed a little light on this patch. My Dad was posted as a radar tech for this squadron after completing electronics school at NATTC Memphis in 1948/1949 and served with VC-4 through1952 when he was honorably discharged. VC-4 was the Navy's first night/all-weather squadron, and provided 2-3 aircraft detachments (aircraft, pilots, support crew) to carriers mainly in the 6th fleet. They provided both attack (AD 3's and 4's), and fighter (F4U-5N's). While my dad was with them, they were based in Atlantic City NAS. On my dad's patches, the Nightcappers name banner was absent, so that would make this one a later patch, possibly after the squadron relocated from Atlantic City, N.J. to Quonset Point, R.I. (If I remember correctly, that was in 1954). If there is interest, I can find the research I did for my father, refresh my memory and post more info.

manayunkman

I would love to see pictures of your dad's things if possible.

Do you know anything about the unit on it's way to Korea and when it got there?