Ghillie Suit

VMI88

I've never seen a ghillie suit in person but when I saw this at the flea market yesterday I thought I'd take a chance. Unfortunately the lady I purchased it from had no provenance other than it came out of a storage unit with some other military gear.

post-265-1315861312.jpg

It appears to match very closely to known genuine ghillie suits I found online, including some in this forum thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=45676.

The coat is very interesting, being based on a 1990 contract DBDU, but very heavily modified. The most obvious modification is the front closure being sewn shut and covered with a heavy canvas reinforcement. The "skid plate" (as a forum member identifies it in the other thread) is both sewn and reinforced with some sort of rubber cement. The sleeves and back have been sewn with lengths of 550 cord to which are attached strips of burlap and rubber bands for foliage. A large panel on the back of the coat has been removed and a mesh screen put in for ventilation.

A zipper was installed in the side of the coat to assist in pulling it over the head. There are also strips of webbing sewn into the hem of the coat for some reason.

post-265-1315862338.jpg

A pocket has been added near the left cuff and there was still a blank 7.62 round inside (LC 68, FWIW). I guess this probably means the suit was last used in training rather than actual deployment. There's also a thumb-strap sewn into each cuff to keep the sleeves down. The suit definitely shows signs of being dragged through the dirt!

post-265-1315862536.jpg

Here's the back of the coat showing the camouflage strips and the elbow pads. I'm guessing the suit isn't more than a few years old as the rubber bands are still very supple (or I guess they could have been replaced). It doesn't take very long in a storage unit for rubber bands to deteriorate and fall apart.

post-265-1315862729.jpg

The back of the trousers showing the 550 cord holding the burlap strip and rubber bands. The amount of work that must have gone into this is just incredible!

post-265-1315862971.jpg

My gut is that I like it a lot. Does it smell?? Please let me know if you part with it....I'm only a hop skip and jump away! Thanks!

It's musty but doesn't really smell of BO, if that's what you mean. It's got lots of ground in dirt though, so someone's definitely been doing some low-crawling in it. And thanks for the offer, but I think I'll be holding onto it!

Suggestion: get some spray fire retardant and hose it down. It doesn't take much for that frizzled hemp to go up like it was made of gasoline.