"Dual purpose" Aircrew wing.

Sabrejet

This is a fairly unremarkable "slick" aircrew wing with no attributable maker's hallmark, other than STERLING. However, what interested me was the way it was set up for the potential attachment of clutch pins, as evidenced by the small circles which would act as a positioning guide for the solderer. Obviously, these were never used and a standard brooch-pin fastener was added instead. Another unusual feature with these wings is the rather pronounced way in which the tips curve outwards.

post-8022-1315834142.jpgpost-8022-1315834153.jpg

That is an interesting point. The clutch mount area marked on the back, yet a pin applied.

Perhaps this was the transition stage to clutch backs, and the pin supply was being used up ? :think:

That is an interesting point. The clutch mount area marked on the back, yet a pin applied.

Perhaps this was the transition stage to clutch backs, and the pin supply was being used up ? :think:

Yes, probably something like that JS. The pin seems a little shorter than usual with the hinge and catch being closer together as though avoiding the clutch-pin bases?

Ian - I have seen examples with the guides both round like yours and more of a L shape use both types of fittings i.e. cluch back \ post or the pin. Not sure of the why but it could have been part availability, cost,..?

Cheers

John