MARSOC Using Woodland Again w/ a Twist

OEF COLLECTOR

MARSOC is apparently using woodland again. This time it's MARSOC use only, for the most part, and it's being made by Crye Precision, in the form of their Combat Shirt, a very popular style of shirt for SF.

crye-woodland-uniform.jpg

Marine special operators are going old-school. Some have ditched their MARPAT for “NATO woodland print” which is similar to what all Marines wore more than a decade ago. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command purchased 300 sets of the uniforms for use on unspecified missions.

It’s the same woodland pattern all service members wore before 2000, when the services began developing distinctive camouflage patterns of their own, but it is made from an enhanced fabric. Since 2002, Marines have worn MARPAT, or “Marine pattern,” uniforms — a camo design even soldiers say they like.

The difference with this new woodland purchase is in the high-performance value of the fabric — a more durable, flame-retardant blend made by Crye Precision, the same company that makes the MultiCam pattern, favored by special operations troops and authorized for soldiers headed to Afghanistan.

The woodland pattern also is used by Afghan forces, who are partnered with MARSOC operators, said a command spokeswoman.

“In order to provide mission-specific protective uniforms for Marines and sailors assigned to MARSOC, the command recently purchased a flame-retardant woodland pattern utility uniform,” said Lt. Col. Sarah Fullwood.

The order consisted of 300 sets of Crye Precision’s G3 combat pant and G3 combat shirt in the woodland pattern, and green AirFlex knee pads and AirFlex field elbow pads.

“The recently purchased uniforms provide MARSOC Marines and sailors with additional protection in an operational environment when their mission requires the use of this style of utilities,” Fullwood said. “These uniforms provide a greater degree of flame and tear resistance than older versions of the woodland pattern utilities.”

The purchase is relatively small compared with the approximately 2,300 Marines assigned to the command, about 2,000 of whom are active-duty

Figuring MARSOC is training the Afghan National Army (who use the woodland pattern), it seems like a good idea to me. The US Army Special Forces have also went back to using woodland as well.

9hjexu10.jpg

I still see sailors from the Amphib Base in Coronado wearing the old woodland camo utlities and green jungle boots - wonder when I'll see a Camp Pendleton Marine wearing a set of these? With only 300 sets, probably not soon.

For our members who not familiar with the flame resistant combat shirts in any color, here's the label from a MARPAT desert camo model made by Propper (under license from Crye I believe):

2.jpg

And a closeup of the details of these shirts

1.jpg

I still see sailors from the Amphib Base in Coronado wearing the old woodland camo utlities and green jungle boots - wonder when I'll see a Camp Pendleton Marine wearing a set of these? With only 300 sets, probably not soon.

For our members who not familiar with the flame resistant combat shirts in any color, here's the label from a MARPAT desert camo model made by Propper (under license from Crye I believe):

post-214-1315798954.jpg

And a closeup of the details of these shirts

post-214-1315798997.jpg

Maybe one or two here and there. I've heard that they aren't as strong as the other Crye uniforms because of the material the Marine Corps chose. At 950 sets a year, and only to MARSOC, I'm thinking these will only be seen in combat.

To clear things up, Crye makes the Frog and the Combat Uniform ( SF use). The uniforms that are being made in woodland for MARSOC are all the Combat Uniform model. A bit different than the Frog, which is standard USMC issue.

I'm not a real big fan of the current FR fabrics, they're either really hot if thick enough to wear well, or don't last long if they're thin enough to breathe. Milspec 50/50 nyco is surprisingly resistant to melting, as I found when taking a propane torch to a 50/50 uniform on a dummy to simulate an injury. Seems an unnecessary and significant cost to remake woodland-pattern fatigues in FR fabric.