WW2 Jackets

chron

The other day I was at a gun show and these walked in the door. These jackets are practically pristine and was very excited to see them. I may have jumped the gun because I paid $60 for the pair. Did I do okay? My dad was pretty worried that I paid top dollar and ever had to sell them I was screwed, so if I did sell what do you think I could get? Also If anyone could ID the on the first jacket I would really appreciate it.

First Jacket. The tag was missing on this one

DSC_0535.jpg

Second jacket. What are the 4 bars above the service stripe?

DSC_0530.jpg

The tag to this jacket

DSC_0533.jpg

From what I can make out his name was "Hiers". Is the other thing the luandry mark I think its says "H-347A".

DSC_0531.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING

IMO you paid alittle to much, but by not means an excessive amount. Plain WWII jackets run about $15 to $20 each and then start adding dollars for insignia on them. Also, the bigger the size the better as well (anything over a size 40).

IMHO you should not buy something and then ask "Did I pay too much?" I have seen that time and time again, usually with new collectors. Did you buy them for your enjoyment, or as part of your Dad's investment portfolio? By the time you listened to him and to the folks here (yes, you paid too much), it will be hard to get any enjoyment out of them. Every time you see them you are not going to remember how excited you were to add them to your collection; all you are going to remember is that "I paid too much for these." My advice is that if you are going to wonder each time you make a purchase, you need to start collecting money instead. You should collect militaria for the love of history; not as an investment. Return on investment is just icing on the cake. Buy books before you buy collectibles and educate yourself on their value so that you can use your money more wisely to buy more militaria. But every once in a while you are going to come across something hard to find that you thought it was very cool, or you've been wanting for a long time. Maybe most people would never pay what you are willing to pay, but within reason, do not hold back or you are going to kick yourself for years to come for not paying a little extra for it. Think about these uniforms that you bought. How much did you over-pay? $20? So what!? Enjoy them and ask your Dad the next time you all go shopping that you don't know if you over-paid $20 or not, but you sure are glad to have them in your collection. Hopefully he will understand and let you enjoy the latest addition to your collection.

Can they be researched? I'm looking at these on my iPhone, and by the patches, these guys could have an interesting history. The 5th Service Command was a stateside unit, but your coat has overseas hash marks. It could be interesting to find out what he did "over there."

Did you pay too much? It depends why you bought them. As an investment? Then, yea, probably. Did you buy them to learn more about history? If so, then no. You can do so some good research on these and maybe learn a thing or two.

a true collector enjoyes what he finds and buys, the value of it will increase in time. in the meantime admire it, be proud of it, take pleasure in it.

easterneagle87

I agree with Gunbarrell. The minute you ask yourself "did I pay too much" is the minute you did. So what? How many WW2 jackets will there be in 10 years? And at reasonable prices?

1972 I'm 8 years old, in an antique shop is a double decal German helmet and a brown fur Luft winter flap cap at $25 ea. Did my Mom give me the $50 to buy two very cool items?? Hell no! she thought I was crazy. Amazing I knew what I was looking at, even at a young age. What would those items go for now? Right...more than YOU want to spend!

Everyone loves a nugget! Get them while you can, but occassionally you got to pay the piper. Everybody wants the high dollar item, but doesn't want to pay for them. Enjoy collecting!

My 2 cents.

NARA

Archives.gov Home

Contact Us

Access to Archival Databases (AAD)

HomeAADFree-text ResultsPartial RecordsFull Records

AAD TOOLS

FILE UNIT INFORMATION

Print

Bookmark/Share

Help

Display Full Records

File Unit: Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records)

in the Series: World War II Army Enlistment Records, created 6/1/2002 - 9/30/2002, documenting the period ca. 1938 - 1946. - Record Group 64(info)

Brief Scope: This series contains records of approximately nine million men and women who enlisted in the United States Army, including the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

You may wish to View the FAQs for this series.

< Previous Record | Next Record >

Field Title

Value

Meaning

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER

NAME

HIERS#HERBER##D#########

HIERS#HERBER##D#########

RESIDENCE: STATE

INDIANA

RESIDENCE: COUNTY

MIAMI

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT

FT BENJAMIN HARRISON INDIANA

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION

PVT#

Private

GRADE: CODE

Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION

CE#

Corps of Engineers

BRANCH: CODE

Undefined Code

FIELD USE AS DESIRED

#

#

TERM OF ENLISTMENT

Enlistment for the Philippine Department

LONGEVITY

###

###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL

Civil Life

NATIVITY

INDIANA

YEAR OF BIRTH

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP

White, citizen

EDUCATION

2 years of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION

Unskilled general woodworking occupations, n.e.c.

MARITAL STATUS

Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY

Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)

CARD NUMBER

#

#

BOX NUMBER

FILM REEL NUMBER

2.33#

2.33#

< Previous Record | Next Record >

Archives.gov Home

Contact Us

Privacy Policy

Accessibility

Freedom of Information Act

Top of Page

The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration

8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001

Telephone: 1-86-NARA-NARA or 1-866-272-6272

The National Archives Experience

Our Documents

Regulations.gov

USA.gov

POSSIBLY YOUR GUY.

Hello--Two really nice World War Two enlisted uniforms. On the price, they don't make these anymore & there are new collectors every year. If you like them I believe that you did not get hurt at all. Someone kept these unifoms in a spot where the moths did not get them all these years so it meant something to someone. I still have my first World War Two uniform & would not give it up for the world. I got this with my Dad over 50 years ago. I still remember him tell me what everything thing meant on the uniform. It was a day to remember. No price on memories ---Blue Skies 1st Sgt CES

Ps kid send me an address & I will send you some original ribbons to put on the uniforms for free

If you look at ebay, prices have been going up. I use to rutinely pick up ww2 tunics like these for $20-25 including shipping. Now they are harder to get at that price. Shipping use to be $5, now it is $10.00. The items that have $15-20 Shipping I do not bid.

The tunic with the 30th div patch is the keeper, the AAF one is more common. If you can get names and histories, then it was a bargain.

Also, on ebay you have to be careful of are you buying "fantasy" or real. Picking it up from an individual or garage sale is more thrilling to me.

I see nothing wrong with your purchase. To me the excitement or thrill of the hunt is worth the price. Think of it as you were entertained for $60 and tomorrow you still have the items.

Paul

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread I appreciate that all of you took the time to leave comments and help me out.

Secondly "BND173D" thanks for looking up the name Im going to have to check that site out.

Thanks for your time!!!

Also I did buy the jackets for my enjoyment, not to sell and try to make a quick buck. I was just curious as to how much I over paid, even if I did pay $20 to much or not I will enjoy these jackets and the history that goes with them.

It is hard to top what the other members have already said. I collect US stuff and German Stuff I think that I have maybe 10 - 15 WW2/Korean War uniforms, but I have over 100 books on the vast subject of WW2 and Korea. I love the thrill of research and discovering little secrets that my friends didnt know. Learn the research tricks and get good at them, such as learning how to read laundry marks and partial NSA numbers. These are just a couple tricks to make it more fun.

Lets face it,,,money is tight. So dont buy that $100 uniform this month buy the $10 picture. You'll get the same amount of enjoyment researching the picture as you would the uniform. The main thing is have fun! :thumbsup:

As far as your uniforms go, I like them both. I am really into AAF stuff lately. So, good luck with your research now that you got a name to go with the jacket you can find out as much as you like.