US marked snowshoes

Norton

post-37519-1315788491.jpgpost-37519-1315788317.jpgttachment=437922

My wife found these at a flea market for $40 They are marked on the center brace U.S. SNOWCRAFT

They are not marked any other place. The leather and buckles look very good. I know the photos are small but I have a great deal of trouble sizing these pictures. From what I have posted, do they look post war 1950s or 40s wartime?

post-37519-1315788746.jpg

Look closely around the trailing end. Both on top and the sides. They should be serial numbered and dated there. And the serial numbers should match.

El Bibliotecario

I don't know when they were made, but I know through persional experience such snowshoes were issued into the 1980s, although by then a more modern pattern had appeared.

Look closely around the trailing end. Both on top and the sides. They should be serial numbered and dated there. And the serial numbers should match.

Yes on both counts they have matching four digit serial number and are dated 1953

Should I run a coat of leather protectant on the bindings?

During the 80's in Alaska, the 172LIB and the 6th Id were issued magnesium shoes but the mortar crews had the wood bearclaw type

That sort of historical detail is why I like this board ;)

Thanks bummer

• 6 years later...

Hello, does anyone know, why are some stripes, mostly red or orange, on some snowshoes, skis and ski poles on Arctic units?

How and why did they mark it and who used it?

An example is in the picture.

post-3788-0-61661800-1508153267.jpgpost-3788-0-75480100-1508153289.jpg

Thank you for informations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, does anyone know, why are some stripes, mostly red or orange, on some snowshoes, skis and ski poles on Arctic units?

How and why did they mark it and who used it?

An example is in the picture.

attachicon.gif225932_med.jpgattachicon.gif227101.jpg

Thank you for informations.

Unit markings . platoons and companies would paint equipment so that it "did not run off"

• 3 weeks later...

Unit markings . platoons and companies would paint equipment so that it "did not run off"

Thank you, I was thinking if the training equipment was marked this way?

• 2 weeks later...

If I am correct, B 4/327INF- 1/17th INF were painted green. My duffle bag still has the green paint on the bottom with I think 2 white stripes for 2ns Platoon

Roger.

post-34986-0-81875000-1444185871.jpg

Taken by me in Ft Greely Alaska in November 1982. In fact all sorts of white items had red highlights, like Ahkios etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you man.

Roger.

post-34986-0-81875000-1444185871.jpg

Taken by me in Ft Greely Alaska in November 1982. In fact all sorts of white items had red highlights, like Ahkios etc.