WWII T-5 parachute

WWII Parachutist

WWII Parachutist

A while back I found a bunch of WWII parachute materials, I have made a few replica T-5 and T-7 parachutes. One such T-5 is on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170695437208

Any questions or comments welcome! Anybody have any suggestions on how to improve on it for the next one?

By the way, if anyone is interested in it, forum members get a nice discount.

A while back I found a bunch of WWII parachute materials, I have made a few replica T-5 and T-7 parachutes. One such T-5 is on ebay right now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170695437208

Any questions or comments welcome! Anybody have any suggestions on how to improve on it for the next one?

By the way, if anyone is interested in it, forum members get a nice discount.

Pm sent.

Thanks.

:jeal0001:

I like the look of it! I'v seen such packs look much worse.

Cool that you used original parts for it...

Add an original canopy to that and you'd have a high quality item :thumbsup:

Ideal to put on a mannequin.

Any questions or comments welcome!

It looks excellent :thumbsup:

The only question I would have about green painted hardware. If I am not mistaken so far I saw black oxidized or natural metal hardware for T-5s so would be grateful for your comment.

Best regards

Greg

Hey David,

Congrats on that T-5 Parachute Back Pack you have listed on EBay with its pull out Panel and Static Line it

looks great id say it took a lot of time and effort went into making it, Looks Amazing and Well Done Very Nice Piece :thumbsup:

Regards

Tomás.

WWII Parachutist

Greg,

The the early T-5's with the white harness used the unpainted, plain cadmium plated steel hardware. All of the harnesses with the later OD harnesses used hardware painted with a brownish OD paint. There are a few color variations, some more brown than green, others more OD.

Black oxidized hardware? Are you sure its not just old painted buckles. A lot of original T-5's with painted hardware do look like the hardware is blackened, but it is really paint that is 65 years old.

The only blackened hardware I have seen are the QRB lugs on modified T-5 harnesses.

I learn new things everyday though so you might be right.

Joshua

WWII Parachutist

Just sold on ebay.

Anybody spot any thing wrong with the pattern or materials that I might have overlooked? Trying to build the best ones possible.

Joshua

Hello Joshua,

Thanks for reply. Your parachutes are really beautiful and worth big money. It is even hard to call them correctly -- to some extent they are "new old stock", to some extent they are repro, but "repro" made of original components, so not so much "repro". :)

Greg,

The the early T-5's with the white harness used the unpainted, plain cadmium plated steel hardware. All of the harnesses with the later OD harnesses used hardware painted with a brownish OD paint. There are a few color variations, some more brown than green, others more OD.

Yes, you are right, I researched color images of the T-5s and you are right.

Black oxidized hardware? Are you sure its not just old painted buckles. A lot of original T-5's with painted hardware do look like the hardware is blackened, but it is really paint that is 65 years old.

The only blackened hardware I have seen are the QRB lugs on modified T-5 harnesses.

I learn new things everyday though so you might be right.

OK, as I wrote above you are right. I was only once under the impression that black oxidized buckles can be seen in Michel De Trez's "American Warriors" book, page 39, but it might be an impression only or imperfection of color printing process.

Best regards

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
WWII Parachutist

There's another one on ebay!

This one is modified for Market Garden and Varsity

I am also nearing completion on a T-7. A early model T-5 and a Normandy T-5 to follow soon.

Let me know what you think - any suggestions on improvments?

Joshua

Hi Joshua,

One improvement would be the correct full-circle QRF on this chute, not the one with the missing side.

Other than that, they're really good!

No manufacturing info panels/stampings on them though?

Cheers,

Glen.

• 2 weeks later...
WWII Parachutist

Yes, I was hoping to find the B-1 quick release box with the full circle dial, but the best I could do was a B-2A release box manufactured by a Aerial Machine and Tool Co. which was a large mfg of hardware during WWII.

If anyone has the type with the complete circlular dial for sale I would be interested in buying it.

I do have the stamps for the pack and harness now. Just came in the mail a few days ago and stamped a chute. Looks great. By the way, if you see T-5 advertised as original with the small marking RMC-138 (Reliance manufacturing company, chute batch number 138) its could be one of mine that has been aged.

I now have an improved painted hardware, the correct info stamps, and better condition webbing.

If anyone wants a T-5 let me know and I can make you a custom one with your choices of colors/dates, etc. I'll make you a deal that will be hard to pass up!

Joshua

Hey Joshua, I will say that you put out a fine shute. You did a great job on mine and it looks fine in my display. I know you go to great pains to get everything right. Thanks, ED