Leave it alone or clean it? NIB M4

Misfit 45

I was looking on ebay today and saw a dead mint M4 with scabbard. It sure looked impressive. I have an Imperial M4 with a Hemphill pommel in the original box. It is in the original cosmoline. Would the value be threatened if I took off the goop? One thing I am concerned about is that once the cosmoline is removed, it can never go back. The M4 will never be the same. Thanks for your input. It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the cosmoline covers part of the leather handle at each end.

Marv

DSC04060.jpg

Marv-If one has to have a dilemma, this is a great one. Here's how I look at it. You have nothing to lose. If you leave the cosmoline on the M4, you have a mint Imperial in the original wrapper, w/ original box. If you take the cosmoline off, you still have a mint Imperial,in the original wrapper,w/ original box. Except, it's not gooey. I could easily justify removal of the cosmoline in my mind. But, it's your bayonet. Don't let my rationalization influence your decision. GOOD LUCK! SKIP

If you take it off, be sure to get some nice pictures of it with the cosmoline on it. That way you can always prove the knife was packed with cosmoline in that wrapper.

Justin