WW2 Combat Medic Rank Question

Wharfmaster

Were most WW2 Army combat medics of technician rank? What was the lowest rank for a qualified medic in the field?

Over the years, I believe I have seen more WW2 vintage medic uniforms with "T" ranks.

Thanks much.

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Were most WW2 Army combat medics of technician rank? What was the lowest rank for a qualified medic in the field?

Over the years, I believe I have seen more WW2 vintage medic uniforms with "T" ranks.

I am far from an expert, but I believe that platoon medics were "surgical technician" MOS and as such would take technician rather than NCO ranks. I think PFC or T/5 were the most common ranks for field medics. A T/4 would be less common, and a T/3 medic would most likely be found at higher echelon medical stations. There were "hard stripe" NCOs in medical units, too, but they would be more involved with running the unit than with patient care.

--Justin B.

Here is the TO&E 7-11 for the Infantry Regiment Medical Detachment as of 26 Feb. 1944. Of a total of 126 enlisted men authorized 8 were NCOs (the highest ranking NCO in the Medical Detachment per TO&E was one Technical Sergeant in the detachment Headquarters Section). There were 45 Technician positions total (9 Tec. 3, 12 Tec. 4, and 24 Tec. 5) and the balance of 73 enlisted positions were for PFCs (31) and Privates (42): 7_11_Med_Det_26Feb44.pdf

Thanks very much guys, your info and response is most appreciated.

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.