Assorted photos from 319th GFA veteran

Greg Sebring

Greg Sebring

Here are some assorted pix my dad took. I'll post a few at a time always adding to this thread. The first one show some of dad's fellow Troopers reading mail and trying to keep warm during the Bulge. The second photo show the Reich Chancellory in the Russian sector. You can see the Soviet and his sentry box. I have a blurry photo of dad prying up some of the ceramic floor tile inside while he touring it. He was quite impressed with the very large/tall doorways inside. The last photo for now are the Lieutenants of the 319th Glider Field Arty. He has said many times they were the greatest bunch of officers you could ever hope for. The LT with the forehead to cheekbone scar got it on the Holland landing. The front row pipe smoker with unbuttoned coller had a knack for getting busted from Captain back to LT for not using an assigned driver...drove himself around. The leather jackets were the Piper Cub pilots

Greg

post-118-1168038423.jpg

post-118-1168038460.jpg

post-118-1168038498.jpg

Greg Sebring

This picture shows a parking area for thre CG4A gliders. The second photo shows what dad called "March Order". The gun crews were moving to a new area. See how the field piece was wrapped up to keep road dirt off of it. The third photo shows one of dad's Sergeants standing over an abandoned German slit trench. Notice the weapons and equipment.

Greg

post-118-1168044422.jpg

post-118-1168044510.jpg

post-118-1168044571.jpg

Greg Sebring

The first picture is of the 1st gun section in "A" Battery. In the second photo, the soldier at the far right is Carl Roberts. Dad said he founded the 82nd Airborne Association after the war. The last photo shows a church that was struck moments earlier by a German 88 round. Dad figured the Germans thought the Americans were using the church as an OP and put a round through the roof to take it out.

Greg

post-118-1168054412.jpg

post-118-1168054456.jpg

post-118-1168054499.jpg

Greg Sebring

Dad took this picture of a chow line. The second photo shows a communication trailer used for carrying the spool wire used by the fire control switchboard to the individual gun sections. The picture is of a some of the Troopers in dads Battery on the way to chow.

Greg

post-118-1168054885.jpg

post-118-1168054925.jpg

post-118-1168055182.jpg

Greg Sebring
Very interesting pictures.

I liked those with the Waco gliders.

Can you tell me where that church was?

Dad has the photo labeled "Diedersburg" and I have no way of knowing if the spelling is correct. Here are some more Waco's and a photo of MG James Gavin taken at a post war football game in Berlin.

Greg

post-118-1168118828.jpg

post-118-1168118870.jpg

post-118-1168118961.jpg

Greg Sebring
Thank you for sharing those real nice pictures! Ive enjoyed watching them thumbsup.gif

Sebas

Thanks Sebas,... I feel a little funny posting them again. I have a bunch and I am trying to be selective in which ones I put up again on this site. Here are two more showing the destruction and some obvious fierce fighting in a town. Dad couldn't remember exactly where this was but did add, "This is what most towns looked like after the 82nd went through them".

Greg

post-118-1168193135.jpg

post-118-1168193171.jpg

Here are a few more of my dad. The first one shows him on furlough inroute to Scotland enjoying a long overdue can of warm beer. The second shows dad with one of his Sergeants. The third shows the native population of the Azores rowing alongside the victory ship selling fresh fruits and veggies. Dad said they bought lots of the fresh produce and then everyone onboard got a good dose of the "scoots". Dad added the ship (known as the "Pittston Victory") started to break apart due to extremely rough weather and storms. The hull cracked and they lost all the fresh water on board. The Azore stop allowed it to be welded back together. They were able to sail on into New York harbor without further problems.

Greg

post-118-1168827112.jpg post-118-1168827132.jpg post-118-1168827154.jpg

Now these are really groovy... I'm especially diggin' those Wacos!

Thanks!

Fade to Black...

Here's a picture of a poker game dad snapped. The second photo was taken in Ludwigslust, Germany. It was post war and to keep the men busy and out of trouble, dad said some dumb a$$ officer ordered more glider training. You can see a Waco landing in the background. Those things were tricky to land under ideal conditions and you didn't want to do it any more than you had to.

Greg

post-118-1168828631.jpg

post-118-1168828669.jpg

Here is a photo of the officers and section chiefs in my dads outfit. The second photo is the closest dad ever got to being an Olympic athlete....posing on the high dive board at the 1936 swim tank diving platform.

Greg

post-118-1168828994.jpg

post-118-1168829042.jpg

This is something you don't see often. Here's a picture of dad's battery getting ready for a formal group photo. The next post is the final photo...

Greg

post-118-1168830547.jpg

82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, A Battery. Dad is in the 2nd row, 8th from the right side.

post-118-1168830792.jpg

Greg

• 1 month later...

Here are a couple more pix taken from the co-pilots seat of a CG4A glider on practice flights. The first one is over Ludwigslust, Germany. I think it gives you a better feel of what the ground terrain looked like coming in for a one shot landing attempt. Now throw in some "Rommel's asparagus" and ground fire. One can only guess what the "pucker" factor was on a hot combat landing.

Greg

post-118-1172543020.jpg

Dad has this one labeled, "700 feet over Leon, France". I can only guess that is some sort of cathedral in the distance. Dad was seated in the co-pilot seat for this one also.

On one other picture of a CG4A, dad calls it an "eggcrate". I remember one story dad told me on the inbound Holland flight. Your nerves were so pumped up guys would have to urinate while in the air. Dad added you didn't want to land with a full bladder as that increased the risk of rupturing it on a rough landing. The soldiers would try to work their way to the back of the glider and p### in the very tail. Dad said he got up and loudly stated that he always wanted to p### on the Germans so he went over to the side door and cracked it open letting his stream out the side of the glider. He remembers hearing some of his buddies saying "That G/D Sebring isn't afraid of anything".

Greg

post-118-1172543555.jpg