Civil War General's Shoulder Insignia

pjm

I thought I'd show these offer. They are part of a grouping I obtained some years ago belonging to General Samuel Schwenk of the Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment 50. He became a brevet general in spring 1865. After the civil war he joined the regular army and served in Texas with the 41st (colored) Infantry as an officer and later in the 8th Cavalry Regiment. He ended his career in the early 1870's as a major.

post-8161-1315595827.jpg

Nice solid example. The bullion edges look like they are in great shape.

I'll post the grouping soon. There are several pairs of his shoulder boards as well as two Hardee hat badges in unworn condition. The Corps badge also does not appear to have been worn. Other boards, particularly the lower ranks, show considerable wear. I presume these were on his uniform in combat. The single Captain's board illustrated above appears to be one of the pair he's wearing in the photo. He was severely wounded at Cold Harbor while a captain. The mate to the pair may have been lost when he was treated for his wounds.

I am so sorry...words fail me.... :drool2: awesome just doesn't do this magnificent set justice. All I can do is offer my humble thanks for posting and sharing this history with us!

Joe