CBI Theater Leather Patch

carpen404

Hi, I bought a WW2 CBI uniform… This patch was in the box with the rest of uniform… I’m having trouble IDing it. The yellow arrow is suede, I think. Then it’s sewn onto brown leather and then to white leather…

He was In the AAF in INDIA. He was in charge of the Chinese workers… I could only hazard a guess… BURMA INDIA AIR DEFENSE? I would greatly appreciate any help… Thanks, George

post-9292-1315574499.jpg

This is just like the patch sewn to General Doolittle's A2 on board USS Hornet en route to the Tokyo Raid!

No way! ... That's crazy... Thanks for the pic...George

Can't make out the lettering on the Doolittle patch, but they must be related somehow? Potentially nice find!! :w00t:

I was looking through some photos... There is a pic of Col. Doolittle on a carrier with other crew members. Two other guys have the same patch...

Corpsmancollector
Can't make out the lettering on the Doolittle patch, but they must be related somehow? Potentially nice find!! :w00t:

They're really close that's for sure. It looks like the interior of the arrowhead on the patch in the photo is alternated with the one post originally? (in the photo; body is black, outline yellow?)

Will

The design is common for "Air Depot's" so just figure out what city, village, or town, "BI" might be and you will have it. Ex: SAAD is for the San Antonio Air Depot.

Cool patch! :thumbsup:

Johnny Signor

Doolittles patch is for Dayton Ohio , and is an Air Depot Type as is this patch in question, BI for the area and AD for Air depot .

Johnny

Whatever area of India that BI satnds for ???????????????????????

Johnny

Thanks for sharing it, first time I've seen this one !

Doolittles patch is for Dayton Ohio , and is an Air Depot Type as is this patch in question, BI for the area and AD for Air depot .

Johnny

Whatever area of India that BI satnds for ???????????????????????

Johnny

Thanks for sharing it, first time I've seen this one !

Bombay India Air Depot? ;)

I would lean more towards this either being from the Bangalore India Air Depot, or the Bengal India Air Depot. I do not think there was an Air Depot in Bombay. There was the 82nd Air Depot in India and one of it's squadrons, the 82nd Depot Supply Squadron, was stationed in Bombay during 1942. The Bengal Air Depot traditionally wore a tiger head patch as pictured below. They could have had another design available such as yours, but I am not sure. Prior to 1943, the Bengal Depot was known as the 5317th Air Depot Hq (Provisional). I would be more inclined to guess yours might be from from Bangalore, but I cannot confirm any specific insignia worn by personnel there.

post-2744-1315623858.jpg

Another angle, just showing part of the first letter.

The real Jimmy Doolittle pining Japanese medals on a bomb.

Also a picture of Alec Baldwin playing Jimmy Doolittle

in that dreadful movie "Pearl Harbor".

post-7885-1315632408.jpg

post-7885-1315632427.jpg