USAAF C-1 Vest, Rigger modified? Need opinions

13M40 (RET)

Picked this up at a yard sale last week. Other than the male half of one snap being missing it looks like new! All the stenciling on the pockets is bold and not faded at all. The main thing I am wondering is about these leather straps that are riveted on. You can see where the web straps were cut off. The leather and rivets are very clean and at first glance look to be a recent mod, however the whole vest is in such good shape I think maybe it was done long ago. I could really use some opinions here - rigger mod or not? Thanks, Dave

DSCF4242.jpg

DSCF4241.jpg

DSCF4248.jpg

DSCF4247.jpg

DSCF4246.jpg

DSCF4245.jpg

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a rigger-modified deal. The one I have has the circular snaps added to the web ties on the back (so it can snap together, rather than be tied). I've seen other modified vests too, so I think it was a popular bit of gear to alter.

Anything is possible but these have been on the surplus market for years.I bought a mint one back in February at a local auction.Guy was a serious hunter and fisherman.I can see a sportsman removing the straps and adding the leather straps also.One dealer at a local mil show we have had one with a piece of camo material sewn in where the back panel was.Looked like the commecial duck hunter stuff.Im sure it was a commecial/civilian mod in my opinion.

RD

There is no verdigris on the brass rivets and if this was modified 50 years ago these would be covered. However the leather is cracked and dry looking......so my conclusion is.....I don't have a clue of when this was done. I do like the modification. Made to fit the guy.

I waited a bit to see if anyone else would add to this. Thank You all for taking the time to answer. I guess the condition of the brass as pointed out by Ronnie means this is probably a more recent mod. On the other hand optimum storage conditions do result in the unexpected. So; rigger modification-unlikely. Thanks again, Dave