Colonel Hubert "Hub" Zemke's Medals

Gary Cain

This is my first post so I thought I would start off with a bang! Hub Zemke's son is a good friend of mine and lives about 20 minutes north of me. We get together quite often and have a good port and talk history and current events and occasionally watch his dads gun camera footage(which is pretty damn impressive!).

Anyway here is his dads mounted awards. They are all the originals and he has most of his dads uniforms as well, one flight jacket is on display at Wright Patterson, and the Air Force Academy has some of his insignia now as well.

The DSC, and Air Medal are wrap brooches and the SS and LOM are split brooch medals. None of them are engraved on the back.

Gary

post-96-1168034349.jpg

Hi Gary

Awesome post! Zemke was a true hero and saved the POWs at Stalag Luft from from a lot of grief from both the Germans and the Russians ( not to mention hsi fighter pilot ability as well! )

thumbsup.gif

The DFC , Silver Star , and DSC look like numbered medals too.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I beleive you are right but I can't get access to the edges due to the way they are mounted.

I will see what Hub has of his dads POW life.

Gary

Hi Gary

Awesome post! Zemke was a true hero and saved the POWs at Stalag Luft from from a lot of grief from both the Germans and the Russians ( not to mention hsi fighter pilot ability as well! )

thumbsup.gif

The DFC , Silver Star , and DSC look like numbered medals too.

Kurt