"Nice landing, General"

Steindaddie

I was able to ID this particular P-12E thanks to the general's star on the fuselage. Taken in Hawaii in 1938, only one P-12 was crashed by a general officer there and that was by BG Barton K. Yount, commander of the 18th Wing at newly built Hickam Field. Records show that AC Serial No. 32-028 was nosed over by Yount on 10 Feb 1938 at Hickam although the back of the photo says it happened at Wheeler Field. The insignia on the fuselage is unknown to me but I assume it has something to with Hickam.

PS. If were General Yount, I would have yanked that star off the plane!

post-1949-1315445858.jpg

post-1949-1315445872.jpg

Here's some more photos from the same collection as the upside-down P-12, all taken by a mechanic in the 26th Attack Squadron at Wheeler Field during the 1930's. He later transferred to the 86th Observation Squadron and evidently spent quite a few years at Wheeler. Here are pics of both squadron's aircraft: an A-12 Shrike from the 26th being refueled (hey, where's the ground wire?) and O-47's and crew chiefs of the 86th. These planes shortly thereafter transferred to Bellows Field and were still there when the Japanese attacked.

post-1949-1315767615.jpg

post-1949-1315767654.jpg

A variety of Air Corps hardware at Wheeler Field: A B-12, it's replacement, a shiny new B-18 from Hickam Field, an O-8A, plus an O-47 & an A-12 in the background.

post-1949-1315768108.jpg

These are great archive shots of old warbirds. Love that P-26! Would've been quite a sight in its bright blue/yellow pre-war colour scheme!

PS. Ooops...did I mis-identify the Pursuit plane? :whistling:

These are great archive shots of old warbirds. Love that P-26! Would've been quite a sight in its bright blue/yellow pre-war colour scheme!

It's a P-12, not a P-26. But hey, you were only 14 numbers off! ;)

Cobrahistorian

The open canopy monoplane is an A-12 Shrike. ;)

Groovy stuff... I especially dig that Shrike!

The insignia on the P-12 looks very familiar, but I'm not finding it in any of my references. I'm gonna be up nights trying to figure that one out... lol

Fade to Black...

Groovy stuff... I especially dig that Shrike!

Here are some more Shrikes to dig. Same group of photos. These are birds of the 26th Attack Squadron.

post-1949-1316147603.jpg