EE8 Series Telephone

DM1975

I had a couple of those EE-8 field phones earlier this year, found the pair at a garage sale. I hooked them together and tested them, it was fun to see (or rather hear) them working just fine even after 60 years or so. They use standard D-cell batteries to power the talk function. The crank powers the bell circuit.

I would like to get another one sometime and hook em up, one on each end of my display room. I will have to rewire my handset though. Maybe they will work with the newer field phones as well.

Field phones are pretty compatible across the years. I have a couple of civilian hand-cranked phones (they look like old fashioned desk phones) and they worked with the military field phones.

I figured they would, it is after all just a simple electric current ran through two wires. I am kindof a commo freak, spent too long as an RTO. Started with the PRC77 and have carried some sort of radio in some way untill today still with the imbidders. I have an almost-complete MICH system somewhere here also, everything besides the imbidder.

As a kid in the early 1960's (early teenage years) I was a radio operator with the Civil Air Patrol, we used to handle all non-military downed aircraft search and rescue in Southern California, and we still used big old WWII era radio transmitters (BC-610) to keep in touch with our aircraft and jeep units (which carried massive 24-volt-powered tube radios with very long whip antennas). Later as a ham radio operator we converted WWII era HF aircraft radios and as a member of MARS (Military Affiliate Radio System) I got some other vintage radios and a Model 19 Teletype (a friend got one too and we used them on the then mostly unpopulated two-meter ham band).

When I visited Quineville Museum in Normandy on 06/06/04 they had a great EE8B, the signaller had painted mickey up a telegraph pole on the back of the set, so I got my mate tim parker [deros] to repro this on a spare one of mine.

post-39-1168111503.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I have a pair of EE-8-B field phones and plan on selling them anybody know what their going for now days?

• 2 years later...

Where there different ways of connecting these to each other?
I red in company commander about a "party line" does this mean they where connect in a row with two wires both in L1 and L2 and then each couple of wires running to the next and previus station?