William,

The EGA is a crude cast copy from what most refer to as an officer P1914. I am not saying that it is not old, just that it is copied from a known WW1 era emblem. It appears that the chinese symbols are scratched in. Another forum member has some original china made officer collars with "chop" marks. I dont think his are as crude. I have seen much better constructed Chinese made insignia. Can you comment on how the chain is attached?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Mike,

Yep, That's what I thought, A period theater made cast copy made from an original, the easiest way to reproduce something quickly while overseas.

The metal is non- magnetic and the rope is wrap around and welded at the end on the back tip of the anchor.

The Chinese character could be the name of the guy who made it...like Chong kai or Ping pong bing or something... lol,

by the crude workmanship, it most likely have been made by a small steel workshop then a pro jeweler, still a neat piece.

Is the original pattern from Gemsco?, I couldn't find anything to match from my "poor" EGA"s ref bookshelf... the closest I found was a pattern made by Jr Gaunt.

Thanks

Will

www.williamsmilitarycollectibles.com

Will, I've stared at this pic's until I started going cross-eyed. :pinch: Is this the Chinese characters you refer to? Can you post a better / closer for identification please?

11_09_0441_20Medium_20Web_20view.jpg

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Mike,

Yep, That's what I thought, A period theater made cast copy made from an original, the easiest way to reproduce something quickly while overseas.

William,

I am not so thoroughly convinced that this was "period theater made". The marks are really no indication of being original thus far. They are scratched in, which is not common on any EGA, and the marks are very difficult to see/makeout with the photos posted.

Most China made stuff I have seen looks to be of much better quality. This is supposed to be a Marine officer piece. It would be very disconcerting for me to think an officer of the China Legation would wear or even want a piece this crude. Marines of Peking were some of the tightest, most detailed oriented Marines of the era. This stemmed from the fact that they didnt have much to do. Their uniforms and gear wear flawless and their parades were over the top.

S/F,

Mike

Mike Manifor
Buying and selling Military Antiques. Specializing in hat and collar insignia (EGAs) of the USMC.
Top dollar paid.
info@eagleglobeandanchor.com
My website:www.eagleglobeandanchor.com

Visit my EGA reference section: http://www.eagleglobeandanchor.com/EGA_Reference_Section.html

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

William,

I am not so thoroughly convinced that this was "period theater made". The marks are really no indication of being original thus far. They are scratched in, which is not common on any EGA, and the marks are very difficult to see/makeout with the photos posted.

Most China made stuff I have seen looks to be of much better quality. This is supposed to be a Marine officer piece. It would be very disconcerting for me to think an officer of the China Legation would wear or even want a piece this crude. Marines of Peking were some of the tightest, most detailed oriented Marines of the era. This stemmed from the fact that they didnt have much to do. Their uniforms and gear wear flawless and their parades were over the top.

S/F,

Mike

......what he said! :thumbsup: Semper Fi......Bobgee

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

See the Chinese characters.. HA HA..awesome camera! love it!

I don't see anything that resembles Chinese. All I see is casting marks and a bunch of random lines.

If it was Chinese made, they would use a stamp, or a commonly called a chop, or they would have used a tool to stamp each individual strokes in each character. I don't think I have recalled any scratches.

• 4 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)