WWII Experimental Camo Pullover?

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

This piece was found at the Pomona Show this last week. It is cut similar to a WWII British pullover anorak jacket. The outside material is the brown side of the WWII reversible hbt camo. The inside lining is od green twill material. The neck has a rolled type collar with two pull strings for tightening. There are two chest pockets with the left pocket having sewn compartments inside. There are two sewn slits at the front bottom. At the bottom of the sleeves are snapped tighteners with Lift A Dot type snaps. Sewn in the collar is a small mulsin like MEDIUM tag. The back has four sewn straps, in the center. Has anyone ever seen this one? Is it possible it is from the 1941 camo trials. It has military type construction, definately WWII material, and is cut very similar to a British SAS pullover. Would love to find out what this is. Thanks in advance.

Bobcamo1.jpg camo2.jpg camo3.jpg camo4.jpg camo5.jpg camo6.jpg camo7.jpg camo8.jpg

craig_pickrall

Very interesting piece.

I have no direct knowledge of this item but the 4 loops on the back remind me of the British Jungle Jacket that was made in the US. That has the same 4 loops.

post-5-1194929649.jpg

post-5-1194929656.jpg

post-5-1194929664.jpg

vintageproductions

Craig-The back loops are similar except they are placed much higher up the back and more spaced out on the jacket. But, like I wrote above this does have a British type cut, similar to a pullover.

That is not the brown side of the typical ww2 US camo. Similar colors, but it is a pattern that I certainly have never seen before. Can only surmise it to be some sort of an experimental piece, although not in keeping with typical US uniform designs and shows foreign influence.

CB

By appearance this looks to be British in design and influence.

Possibly even some European country.

I do know that US made HBT stuff generally had numbered size tags foexample, 36, 40 etc.

Women's HBT had similar size tags, 12, 14 etc.

I have seen some US stuff with lettered size tags but not the complete size wording.

They have had the letter M, L etc, not medium, large etc.

Just an observation.

Cheers

craig_pickrall

After further research I think this most closely resembles the SAS (SBS) & Canoist Smock. If it is a version of that suit then it should have matching trousers. I can post more info on this if you are not already familar with the suit.

When not in use garment would be rolled up and loops used to secure It to pack straps. At least thats what happened with jungle jackets, windproofs etc. From the pattern It certainly looks like something produced for the camouflage trials. Very nice and intriguing item.

Yours, Guy.