War Bond Poster Grouping

manayunkman

Let me start by saying that I would like to sell this grouping but not sure how to proceed. With that said here ia an interesting War Bond poster with a story to tell. I obtained this poster and all from the daughter of the woman who posed for the picture. She told me her mom, Elaine Altevogt, Altovogt or Altevoght, was a child model during the 30's and 40's. She at one time was the model for the Gerber Baby. Both Roy Pinney and Nickolas Murray two famous period photographers used her as their model. Roy Pinney took the studio portrait of the baby with the bonnet named " The Look ". The Look was in Life magazine during the year 1943 and became well known at the time. This portrait is 11 by 14 inches and has Pinney's mark on the back.

Altevoght also posed for the War Bond poster " To Have and to Hold ". Nickolas Murray was the photographer for this portrait. The poster is in mint condition other than the fold lines. You can see from the newspaper photos that those posters were folded the same way. It measures 20 by 28 inches.

Altevoght went on War Bond drives and made guest appearances. Included with the poster and the Pinney " The Look " portrait are two period newspapers with stories and or photos of Altevoght at War Bond drives. The first is the Bakers Trust Company's " WAR BOND NEWS ". In this periodical is a photo and caption of Altevoght with Joan Bulkley. It reads " Below, we see ELAINE ALTEVOGHT, in front of the war bond poster for which she posed, selling a WAR BOND to JOAN BULKLEY, daughter of LIEUTENANT COMMANDER JOHN DUNCAN BULKLEY of the PT boat squadron at Bataan, immortalized in " They Were Expendable ". She is also in a group photo of ' Junior Salesmen " with the poster in the background.

The second periodical is the Hillside Herald from New Hyde Park, New York, Altevoght's home town. On the back page, sponsored by Bohack Super Market, is a photo spread of a Bond Rally. The article reads " Captain George Ivy is pictured making a forceful speech at the Bond Rally held in the village proper last Saturday night. Five year old Elaine Altovoght of Redwood Road Hillside Park Oaks, the original of the young lady who so appealingly reminded us to buy War Bonds and stamps on the posters, is pictured in several natural poses. Miss S. Louise Wolf, chairman of the New Hyde Park Postal District for the Fifth War Loan looks on." What is written in this small article for some reason does not make complete sense to me but I catch the jist of what is being said. You can see in the background of one of the photos the pleats in the poster.

post-51189-1315335920.jpg

I want to list this item in the for sale part of this forum but I am having a hard time figuring out a fair price. Any help would be appreciated.

M.

dhcoleterracina

Best thing to do is a search on WW2 posters and see what the going price is. The most popular are war related such as the raising of the flag on Iwo. Baby posters are not as popular but do have value. My GUESS is about 75-100.

• 1 month later...
Best thing to do is a search on WW2 posters and see what the going price is. The most popular are war related such as the raising of the flag on Iwo. Baby posters are not as popular but do have value. My GUESS is about 75-100.

Thanks M

• 8 years later...