Guess the award from reading the citation

pchepurko

I will give the details of why I am doing this after I get a few responces. Below is a citation to a Marine KIA. I have removed is name, unit and award. I would like opinions on which award you think he should have been given. Read on:

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the ???? (Posthumously) to Private First Class ????? , United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism while serving as a rifleman in an assault platoon of Company ?, FIRST Marine Division, in action against armed enemy Japanese forces on Peleliu Island, Palau Islands, ?? September 1944. While members of his platoon were evacuating their wounded to the rear from a tank trap in which they were pinned down by Japanese machine gun fire, Private ???, on his own initiative and with utter disregard for personal safety crawled out of the tank trap through a hail of bullets and with grenades and rifle fire, neutralized the enemy machine gun nest from his immediate front and covered the evacuation. In performing this mission Private Gatto was mortally wounded. Nevertheless, for 40 more minutes he continued to harass the Japanese and refused to be evacuated until the evacuation of the wounded comrades had been completed, after which time he died. Private ???'s great personal gallantry, heroic self-sacrifice and unswerving devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Sounds like a Navy Cross action to me.

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Your citation appears to have been a proposed citation as submitted from the field to higher USMC command. The words "extraordinary heroism" indicate that Gatto was put in for a Navy Cross. But Marine GHQ downgraded this proposed award to a Silver Star, for unknown reasons which don't seem fair today.

Blakeney does list a Joseph Gatto, 503848, having been awarded a Silver Star Medal for Peleliu, Palau Islands, for an action on 16 September 1944. He is not to be confused with Jospeph D. Gatto, 204585, who won a SSM on Saipan, 22 June 1944.

I guess I screwed by by leaving his name at the bottom. When I read the citation, and also a description of the action in a book by the company commander, Captain George Hunt USMCR, title "Coral Comes High" I was very surprised to see the Gatto was awarded only the Ssilver Star. I have read many Silver Star and Navy Cross citations and I think Gatto deserved the Navy Cross and possible the Medal of Honor. It is amazing to me how some rear area officer is allowed to downgrade an award recommendation by a field officer. When I get Gatto's file maybe there will be some more information.

Before he passed, medal dealer Tom Koenig showed me a US Marine's medal citation that recounted how he used his body as a shield to protect 4 other Marines in Vietnam, absorbing the force of two thrown hand grenades. He lived, which is phenomenal enough. The award was the BRONZE STAR!!! Then you have senior officers writing each other up for DSCs and such (*there's a great article on the web about MacArthur tossing valor awards around like candy) and it really makes you lose faith in the entire awards system.

.........and I think Gatto deserved the Navy Cross and possible the Medal of Honor.

I agree with you. I have also read citations that deserved higher awards. It's a shame, but this happens often.

• 2 weeks later...

I received Gatto's service record and he was recommended for the Navy Cross by his CO. The CO also wrote a citation for the Navy Cross, however it was down graded with a note the the silver star is a more appropriate decoration.

I received Gatto's service record and he was recommended for the Navy Cross by his CO. The CO also wrote a citation for the Navy Cross, however it was down graded with a note the the silver star is a more appropriate decoration.

Well....I guess field commanders don't know as much as the "brass". :crying:

I did some further, more detailed read and it seems the the Marine Corps did not downgreade the recommendation. It was the damn Navy who did. The memo to down grade it came from Nimitz's office.

This may sound like a silly question but why are there several different medals for valor and heroisim? In the end is there a difference between a Bronze and a Siver Star or a Navy Cross from an MOH?

This may sound like a silly question but why are there several different medals for valor and heroisim? In the end is there a difference between a Bronze and a Siver Star or a Navy Cross from an MOH?

There are significant differences in the qualifications for each award. These differences allow acts of extreme heroism and bravery to be distinguished from outstanding performance of duties while engaged in combat, and everything that falls in between.

There really is a difference between all of those awards.

There are significant differences in the qualifications for each award. These differences allow acts of extreme heroism and bravery to be distinguished from outstanding performance of duties while engaged in combat, and everything that falls in between.

There really is a difference between all of those awards.

Ditto

4starchris