• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
manayunkman

104th Reccon Timberwolf Silver Star winner

OK guys I promise not to saturate this forum with my stuff, not really, so here goes. I got this group back in the 1980's. I met a guy, at the lunch counter of a show in King of Prussia, who told me he had a friend who was selling her husbands WW2 stuff. The next day I was on it. His name is Simmons and he served with the 104th Reccon of the Timberwolf division. Got the Silver Star. I hope you enjoy this group because it has some rare stuff.

post-51189-1315287135.jpg

donation2013.gif

Simmons was awarded the Silver Star for rescuing several men from his unit while under fire. He was in an M-8 armored car at the time. At the end of the war they had a DI made up in Germany. This one belonged to Simmons and I got it directly from his wife. It is marked 900. Very nice clasp don't you agree ? I hope everyone enjoys it.

post-51189-1315287519.jpg

post-51189-1315287549.jpg

donation2013.gif

Here are some photos that came from Simmons. That is him with his Reccon Jeep. And the othe photo shows a bunch of guys parading in German uniforms with badges pined to stupid places. They are in front of a burned out HE-111.

post-51189-1315287835.jpg

post-51189-1315287896.jpg

donation2013.gif

These pictures show the distinctive insignia being worn. Notice the Reccon Pennant, Silver Star award ceremony ? Imagine if you had one of those helmets :thumbsup: If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks

M.

post-51189-1315288121.jpg

post-51189-1315288192.jpg

post-51189-1315288221.jpg

donation2013.gif

Great group! I talked to a member of the recon squadron two weeks ago! Nice guy, I actually asked if he brought anything home with him he said he did but he threw it all out! :pinch: -Ben

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif

Great group! I talked to a member of the recon squadron two weeks ago! Nice guy, I actually asked if he brought anything home with him he said he did but he threw it all out! :pinch: -Ben

Boy I hate hearing that sort of thing. I met a p-51 pilot years ago who was selling his trunk at a yard sale. "Where are the contents ?" I ask him. TREW THEM OUT !!!!! If it weren't for his service to the country I would ..No ... I wouldn't but still. He had 2 confirmed kills. ME 109 and ME 110. I still have the trunk but alas I can't get to it right away.

I'm glad you enjoyed the the reccon group.

M.

donation2013.gif

That DUI is the first I have seen. Really nice!

From what I have been told it is a very rare one. Glad you enjoyed it.

M.

donation2013.gif

This is a very unusual and handsome group. Small, but unique.

Thanks

M.

donation2013.gif

Very nice grouping!! It is really cool to see these photos for me as well. Last year I picked up an M1 helmet and the liner had the same decal as the men are wearing in the photo. Neat!

G

Thanks

M.

I research military records including official military personnel files and much more. If you have an individual veteran you need researched please visit my site:

WWII Military Service Records WWII Morning Reports  Army O.MP.F. WWII Navy service records WWII U.S.M.C. Service Records 

WWII After Action Reports  Civil War Pensions  XC Files IDPF WWII records  

Very nice grouping!! It is really cool to see these photos for me as well. Last year I picked up an M1 helmet and the liner had the same decal as the men are wearing in the photo. Neat!

G

Do you have a photo ? Is it a decal or hand painted ?

thanks

M.

donation2013.gif

Super group from a very cool unit! :bravo: I'm sure that he had some great stories! :)

High Flight

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silver wings;

Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there

I've chased the shouting wind along and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,

where never lark, or even eagle flew;

and while, with silent, lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

June 9, 1922 – December 11, 1941

" And each man stands with his face in the light of his own drawn sword. Ready to do what a hero can." - Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Don't let the B@stards wear you down -"Vinegar" Joe Stillwell

Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world.Unreasonable

people attempt to adapt the world to themselves.All progress,

therefore, depends on unreasonable people.

George Bernard Shaw

" Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" , Fletcher,from the movie "The outlaw Josey Wales"

Super group from a very cool unit! :bravo: I'm sure that he had some great stories! :)

Unfortunately for me he was gone by the time I showed up. His wife on the other hand was a front line surgical nurse. She had stories and quite a few Army nurse friends. I was able to meet them all.

M

donation2013.gif

The one that got away. Will never tire of seeing this group.

Looking for any WWII 104th "Timberwolf" Division items.

Including items from the 413th, 414th, and 415th Infantry Regiments 104th Recon Troop, 329th Engineer Battalion, 329th Medical Battalion

385th, 386th, 387th, and 929th Field Artillery Battalions 804th Ordnance Company 104th Quartermaster Company 104th Signal Company

555th Anti-Aircraft Battalion, 750th Tank Battalion 692nd Tank Destroyer Battalion 817th Tank Destroyer Battalion

donation2014.gif