104th Reccon Timberwolf Silver Star winner

manayunkman

OK guys I promise not to saturate this forum with my stuff, not really, so here goes. I got this group back in the 1980's. I met a guy, at the lunch counter of a show in King of Prussia, who told me he had a friend who was selling her husbands WW2 stuff. The next day I was on it. His name is Simmons and he served with the 104th Reccon of the Timberwolf division. Got the Silver Star. I hope you enjoy this group because it has some rare stuff.

post-51189-1315287135.jpg

Simmons was awarded the Silver Star for rescuing several men from his unit while under fire. He was in an M-8 armored car at the time. At the end of the war they had a DI made up in Germany. This one belonged to Simmons and I got it directly from his wife. It is marked 900. Very nice clasp don't you agree ? I hope everyone enjoys it.

post-51189-1315287519.jpg

post-51189-1315287549.jpg

Here are some photos that came from Simmons. That is him with his Reccon Jeep. And the othe photo shows a bunch of guys parading in German uniforms with badges pined to stupid places. They are in front of a burned out HE-111.

post-51189-1315287835.jpg

post-51189-1315287896.jpg

These pictures show the distinctive insignia being worn. Notice the Reccon Pennant, Silver Star award ceremony ? Imagine if you had one of those helmets :thumbsup: If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks

M.

post-51189-1315288121.jpg

post-51189-1315288192.jpg

post-51189-1315288221.jpg

Great group! I talked to a member of the recon squadron two weeks ago! Nice guy, I actually asked if he brought anything home with him he said he did but he threw it all out! :pinch: -Ben

Great group! I talked to a member of the recon squadron two weeks ago! Nice guy, I actually asked if he brought anything home with him he said he did but he threw it all out! :pinch: -Ben

Boy I hate hearing that sort of thing. I met a p-51 pilot years ago who was selling his trunk at a yard sale. "Where are the contents ?" I ask him. TREW THEM OUT !!!!! If it weren't for his service to the country I would ..No ... I wouldn't but still. He had 2 confirmed kills. ME 109 and ME 110. I still have the trunk but alas I can't get to it right away.

I'm glad you enjoyed the the reccon group.

M.

That DUI is the first I have seen. Really nice!

From what I have been told it is a very rare one. Glad you enjoyed it.

M.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice grouping!! It is really cool to see these photos for me as well. Last year I picked up an M1 helmet and the liner had the same decal as the men are wearing in the photo. Neat!

G

Thanks

M.

Very nice grouping!! It is really cool to see these photos for me as well. Last year I picked up an M1 helmet and the liner had the same decal as the men are wearing in the photo. Neat!

G

Do you have a photo ? Is it a decal or hand painted ?

thanks

M.

• 3 weeks later...
Super group from a very cool unit! :bravo: I'm sure that he had some great stories! :)

Unfortunately for me he was gone by the time I showed up. His wife on the other hand was a front line surgical nurse. She had stories and quite a few Army nurse friends. I was able to meet them all.

M

• 8 years later...