USS Nimitz CVN-68

ehrentitle

A few months back I picked up a lot of patches Army patches which also included 28 Navy patches, most of which are related to the USS Nimitz. Many appear to be Gulf War era. Since I know zero about Navy patches I'm posting them here. I'd be interested in knowing about the history of the patches, what their estimated value is and if there is any rare patches within this group. Thanks. Kevin

post-146-1194910614.jpg

Some of these patches appear to have been pasted to an album, some were worn and most of the squadron patches are in new unused condition. I've seen a few squadron patches but don't believe I've ever seen the patches in the first two posts anywhere else.

Kevin, they are sort of a specialized field. I have a decent collection of these, both from my own deployments in the Med and SE Asia, and from the later Vietnam period.

Each "cruise" or "det" makes these up, and sells them, usually for the benefit of the coffee mess fund of a particular unit. Aboard ship, you could get them at the ships store.

I like the Nimitz DS ones, they are pretty cool. Naturally, the only people who could really wear them were those wearing flight suits, and then they were worn rarely if ever, most of the time they are stuck on the helmet bag, or "Float coat" for the enlisted guys.

You have some interesting other ones as well, also locally produced, for the Nimitiz MAA's. Those were likely worn on the Coveralls/Overalls, aboard ship.

The Marine det patch is very cool. Since Marines no longer serve aboard carriers (that may change in the near future) it's a neat piece.

The Hornet patch (Strike Fighter 147) would have been worn on a flightsuit as a right side upper sleeve patch, similiar to an SSI.

I just got a huge horde of current USAF chevrons, Iraq made nametapes, and other uniform take offs...so if you are interested in that sort of thing as a trade.............. :) What I have is all current stuff.

Oddly, there aren't many dedicated collectors it seems for these types of patches. I personally think it's an under-appreciated collector field; look at the prices being paid for these same types of patches that are RVN made...I see them as not only interesting but a good investment. LMK if you want to part with em.

I can hear the crickets in the background. Does anyone here even collect these types of patches? Kevin

Hell yea! I love Navy patches, especially the big, colorful ones. This is a super set of patches you have here and would make a good start on a very nice Naval Air collection. Thanks for sharing! thumbsup.gif