Walter Lampl of NY, NY, aka "Juarez": examples and patterns

5thwingmarty

You have a really nice set of Lampl/Juarez wings. They are a type that can be really addictive, but at least there aren't too many more ratings you need (flight surgeon, flight engineer, aerial gunner).  

Unfortunately JoeW has cranked out so many "museum quality" copies of these wings it is hard to completely avoid them.  My first Lampl observer turned out to be a fake, and I also had a fake Lampl bombardier as well.  Both were too narrow in span, and the bombardier also had the bomb cast with the rest of the wing.  I suspect your WASP wing might be from JoeW as it appears too narrow in span.  Clear photos of it would let the experts be able to weigh in on it.

JoeW also sells Lampl/Juarez navigator wings.  I don't believe anyone has ever found a real Lampl navigator wing, and no one I know even has one of his versions to examine and see how he put his together.  

Marty

Curses on his house... may fleas infest his tent! Some people will go to hell with a smile on their face. 

Well, the newest addition to my collection of a pair of "Juarez" Observer Wings in Coin Silver arrived today. It has a solid flat back and marked "coin silver". This is a type I did not have in my collection. Here is an updated photo of the Observer types in my collection and a recent photo of the entire collection to date. Cheers and happy trails fellow wing lovers!IMG_2197.JPG.77c2325b2219740ed7542305842dc992.JPG

IMG_2193.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Outstanding collection!  I just picked up the glider version that was the pilot with the applied G.  I saw the Navigator in a shop near me that is the replica ( and I informed the seller) but someone bought it.  I wish I had thought of taking pictures for the forum. 

Best nickname I ever coined.

"Posted April 8, 2015

JoeW, MrMac, or "He who shall not be named" (AKA Lord Joedermort) bought the trademark for Luxenberg some time ago. IIRC it was his gloating of that fact that got him one of his numerous "time outs" from the forum. Eventually he (and at least one of this aliases) were banned forever. I tip my hat to him, that he not only got himself banned, but that they won't even let his name be written. That is some special kind of dedication (and serious moderator annoyance)! Even at my worst, I could only drum up a sternly worded email warning (and a 1 point demerit) for my misbehavior on the forum."

rathbonemuseum.com

Yep. Love that his name get's blocked. Too good. Don't forget how he takes all our research from the forum, scrapes it into a cheap piece of pulp, and claims he wrote a copyright book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I would add a wing to this informative thread.

Here is one I've had for a number of years, a Pilot wing period modified by a jeweler (or maybe special order) with an applied E.

This is the only Engineer Juarez wing I've seen.

Sterling mark shows variation with upside down G.

This is one of the wings featured in the ASMIC Flight Engineer Wing article in the Trading Post a few years ago.

John

Flight Engineer Juarez #643 001.JPG

• 1 month later...

Here is a Sterling marked Aerial Gunner I just received.  The closing latch is still on the clasp and the "g" in Sterling is not inverted.  

20210610_163117.jpg

20210610_162931.jpg

• 4 months later...

Saw this picture today on Facebook and thought I'd add it to the discussion.  I always like to find period photos of pilots wearing the different patterns, in this case I believe it's a "Juarez" pattern wing.  Here's the info from the post:

"Born in Calexico, California, James E. Peck volunteered for the second Eagle Squadron and arrived in England just after the Battle of Britain. He and his best friend Don McLeod, as well as others of the group, volunteered and served in Malta. When America entered WWII, they transferred to the USAAF in North Africa. After further training in the USA, James was sent to Christchurch, England, where he was killed, in April 1944, while serving with the 367th Fighter group. He was 22 years old.

During his service, Captain James E. Peck was awarded the Air Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal and Distinguished Flying Cross (British)."

image.png.79399928aefc773d1590925a27a0576b.png

Very nice Bob, I agree that looks like a Lampl wing.  Inspired by your post, here are a couple of photos from AAF training class books.  I believe this officer is also wearing a Lampl wing.

Kolb photo 1-120.JPG

Kolb photo 2 resize.JPG