Walter Lampl of NY, NY, aka "Juarez": examples and patterns

Picked these wings up a few weeks ago, i really like them but have not yet been able to find the same exact set, these seem a little bigger then a normal wing?

I'm not an expert on these types of glider pilot wings but I see what you mean after comparing your wing with photos of other Juarez gilder pilot wings I've kept for reference. I've never come across your variation with the vertically elongated shield and the division near the top. Nice find.

From what I'm seeing, I think your Juarez-style Glider Pilot badge is worthy of any quality Glider or Airborne collection. Yes, it's a modified Pilot badge with the letter "G" added to the shield...but it's appears to be a period piece alteration and absolutely legitimate.

The fact that this wing was likely produced by the Walter Lampl Jewelry Company and is marked "Coin Silver" instead of "Sterling" makes the piece all the more desirable in my opinion.

Nice aerial badge! Thanks for posting...

Russ

• 2 months later...
5thwingmarty

I found a twin to your Juarez/Lampl Glider Pilot wing. I would rather have a Bell Glider Pilot Wing, but this is a nice one in the mean time.

post-96854-0-41709200-1402240627.jpg

post-96854-0-80819300-1402240635.jpg

Not an expert here but is the ball catch with the missing circular rotating lock correct for a Juarez pattern flight wing?

John Cooper

Not an expert here but is the ball catch with the missing circular rotating lock correct for a Juarez pattern flight wing?

There appears to be evidence of a repair which may be the simple answer.

Cheers

John

There appears to be evidence of a repair which may be the simple answer.

Cheers

John

Thanks for your observation.

• 1 month later...
5thwingmarty

I spotted this little wing on ebay the other day. The seller didn't recognize the hallmark but I did. This little sweetheart piece is just an inch wide making it the smallest member of my hallmarked Walter Lampl collection, but it has some very nice feather details.

Marty

post-96854-0-84387500-1406742171.jpg

post-96854-0-90702900-1406742177.jpg

Patchcollector

Nice Wings.I Think I have a Lampl like the collar piece.Were'nt some marked "Coin silver"?

Just a tip.If your camera has a "Macro" setting,then using it would make the close up photos clearer.

5thwingmarty

The collar pieces can be marked sterling or coin silver. I have only seen wing items with the Walter Lampl hallmark marked also as sterling. Some of the ones in the same design without the WL hallmark have the sterling stamped with the upside down G common to both WL and Bell wings.

My digital camera is old and the macro feature has a glitch. I took these with my iphone which also has a glitch in its camera feature. Sometimes I can get clear cloe-up photos out of them and sometimes not.

5thwingmarty

My camera decided to cooperate so I took another photo of the full set. I also remembered I had a 5th WL hallmarked wing that I had gotten recently.

post-96854-0-93973900-1406820441.jpg

Patchcollector

Great photo.That is a nice assortment of Lampl pieces.Thank you for the info on the hallmarks.

• 1 year later...

Made by Walter Lampl, a very well known Jeweler of the time who took up the war cause through manufacter of Wing Insignia, unique and unmistakable as the oft monikered "Juarez Wings" with his links to Mexican Silver and Labor use. The Observer, in my experience is the least often encountered ESPECIALLY with the WL emblem. You are just doing a fine job Costa, at your diligent and hard work put into your most excellent growing collection.

Below is a picture of Lampl in his 20's

post-76516-0-92689500-1441835381.jpg