Grandfathers Medal Set

heelhand

Michael,

Welcome aboard; can you tell us more about your Grandfathers Career as a submariner and is it possible to see a close up of his medals?

Regards,

John

collectsmedals

WOW!

A fantastic set of medals, your Grandfather must have been quite a man.

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Hi John,

My grandfather was the commander of the USS Bonefish (SS223). His ship was the only one lost in Operation Barney at the end of WWII. I have attached his original medals. My uncle has them. The set I attached first is my attempt at replicating them. Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. If there are certian ones you want close ups of my set I am happy to provide. The sub insignias are his (solid 24k gold with his mane on it) & I believe his naval graduation pin? I have included a picture of it as well on the next post.

Thanks,

Michael

Michael,

Welcome aboard; can you tell us more about your Grandfathers Career as a submariner and is it possible to see a close up of his medals?

Regards,

John

post-54671-1315238270.jpg

Here is his naval academy pin I believe. Please correct if I am incorrect. Thanks.

Hi John,

My grandfather was the commander of the USS Bonefish (SS223). His ship was the only one lost in Operation Barney at the end of WWII. I have attached his original medals. My uncle has them. The set I attached first is my attempt at replicating them. Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. If there are certian ones you want close ups of my set I am happy to provide. The sub insignias are his (solid 24k gold with his mane on it) & I believe his naval graduation pin? I have included a picture of it as well on the next post.

Thanks,

Michael

post-54671-1315238473.jpg

post-54671-1315238486.jpg

Lawrence Edge huh? Quite a family history.

I just recently read the newer book about Operation Barney, HELLCATS by Peter Sasgen, I had known nothing about it really until I read the book. A lot of controversy over if the mission should ever have been run at all or not, or at least the book sure made it sound like that. It must have been doubly hard for your grandmother and the family of the other crew members, knowing they were lost so very close to the end of the war.

I am sure Bonefish items are out there (I saw one of your other posts), be patient. Also be prepared to pay, the sub stuff is popular and collectible and somewhat limited in what turns up.

MW

Thanks Ski. You can understand why I am trying to put togther a set to remember his service/sacrifice.

Michael

WOW! Now that is a family heirloom! An awesome group to a true hero.

-Ski

Hi MW,

Thanks for the comments. I recently finished the book as well. That is what got me started on putting things together. My mom never really talked much about it. Not sure she knew much as she was 2 or 3 when his ship was lost. Peter, the author, spent a lot of time over at my parents house researching everything. My parents have all the letters back and forth between my grandmother & grandfather as well as the upper brass of teh navy (not sure if that is teh correct term). It was really interesting to see his take on everything. Any time someone (s) is/are lost I am sure the families back home wonder about the mission & was it worth the sacrifice. I know my grandmother must have wondered a lot. Thanks for your comments. Yes I am learning military items can be very expensive. Haha. But I would love to get some items from the ship to go with the medals.

Michael

Lawrence Edge huh? Quite a family history.

I just recently read the newer book about Operation Barney, HELLCATS by Peter Sasgen, I had known nothing about it really until I read the book. A lot of controversy over if the mission should ever have been run at all or not, or at least the book sure made it sound like that. It must have been doubly hard for your grandmother and the family of the other crew members, knowing they were lost so very close to the end of the war.

I am sure Bonefish items are out there (I saw one of your other posts), be patient. Also be prepared to pay, the sub stuff is popular and collectible and somewhat limited in what turns up.

MW

Wow! Great group and thanks for sharing!

Can you show closeups front & back of his dolphin badge? Would love to see how it is engraved!

Thanks!

Kim

Wow, very impressive history and grouping. Navy Cross, Bronze Star, Purple Heart.

I would add a photo of your grandfather somewhere near the medals.

Good point. I will have to get a copy. I have his eagle scout pin & merit badge sash displayed with it. I have put it all together. Also have my eagle scout items and my fathers as well. Three generations of eagle scout pins, sashes... I know this is not military but sort of related. Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Wow, very impressive history and grouping. Navy Cross, Bronze Star, Purple Heart.

I see that there are 2 stars on the Navy Cross. Did he win more than one ? Wonderful stuff by the way. From a collecting standpoint that group is like a blonde bomb shell falling madly in love with you and she has money to burn. No it is better than that . It is a treasure. Thanks for showing it. Can you get pics of the backs of the medals that are in your uncles possession ?

Thanks for the posting'

M.

Navy Cross

See more recipients of this award

Awarded posthumously for actions during the World War II

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Commander Lawrence Lott Edge (NSN: 0-74855), United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. BONEFISH (SS-223), during the SIXTH War Patrol of that vessel in enemy Japanese controlled waters of the Pacific, from 5 September to 8 November 19445. Despite intense enemy air and surface opposition, Commander Edge skillfully maneuvered his ship into a favorable position to launch four well-placed and brilliantly executed torpedo attacks and sink three enemy ships totaling 22,000 tons and damaged two additional vessels totaling 8.900 tons. In addition, he effectively conducted the rescue of two downed friendly aviators. A bold tactician, Commander Edge expertly avoided enemy countermeasures and brought his ship safely to port. His inspiring leadership and devotion to duty in the fulfillment of this hazardous patrol reflect the highest credit upon himself and the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet: Serial 01155 (February 9, 1945)

Action Date: September 5 - November 8, 1944

Service: Navy

Company: Commanding Officer

Division: U.S.S. Bonefish (SS-223)

Navy Cross

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting a Gold Star in lieu of a Second Award of the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Commander Lawrence Lott Edge (NSN: 0-74855), United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. BONEFISH (SS-223), during the SEVENTH War Patrol of that vessel in the East China Sea Area from 6 April to 7 May 1945. Despite the constant danger of navigating in shoal waters and the possibility of aerial bombings and detection by shore-based enemy radar and patrol vessels, Commander Edge daringly penetrated enemy minefields and successfully performed a special mission in this area. In addition, he captured two enemy aviators while performing lifeguard duties and skillfully evaded severe enemy anti-submarine measures to bring his ship safe to port. His conduct throughout the entire mission was an inspiration to his officers and men and was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: Commander in Chief Pacific Fleet: Serial 031326 (July 23, 1945)

Action Date: April 6 - May 7, 1945

Navy Cross

The President of the United States of America takes pride in presenting a Second Gold Star in lieu of a Third Award of the Navy Cross (Posthumously) to Commander Lawrence Lott Edge (NSN: 0-74855), United States Navy, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. BONEFISH (SS-223), during the EIGHTH War Patrol of that vessel in the Japanese Sea off the west coast of Honshu, Japan. Fully aware of the extreme dangers involved, Commander Edge left port in his veteran submarine on 28 May 1945, to conduct one of the First War Patrols to be made in this area. Boldly penetrating strong anti-submarine barriers, he entered the supposedly inviolable waters of the Japan sea and, with superb skill and daring, maneuvered the Bonefish into shallow, confined waters to launch his devastating torpedo attacks against enemy targets vital to the Japanese war effort. Striking with devastating speed and precision, Commander Edge succeeded in sending two valuable ships to the bottom despite strong hostile countermeasures. While continuing this smashing offensive, overwhelming counterattacks were encountered which caused the loss of this outstanding submarine and her gallant commanding officer. A forceful and inspiring leader, Commander Edge, by his brilliant seamanship, initiative and indomitable perseverance, maintained in the face of tremendous odds, contributed essentially to the infliction of extensive damage and destruction on the enemy during this urgent mission and to the success of our sustained drive to force the capitulation of the Japanese Empire. His courage and resolute devotion to duty throughout reflect the highest credit upon himself, his intrepid command and the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: Authority: Board of Awards, Submarines Pacific: Serial 0508 (September 13, 1945)

Action Date: May 28 - June 19, 1945

U.S. medal collector
Hi John,

Thanks,

Michael

May I ask what the 'clasp' on the WW2 Victory Medal says. I have never seen one with a 'clasp' on it.

It says "Fleet" I have seen that on other medals but not on the victory medal as well. However, I doubt anyone changed it around, so I think he (commander Edge) probably put in on like that? I did not know if anyone knew how those clasps were used or why they were awarded?

Thanks for the comments.

May I ask what the 'clasp' on the WW2 Victory Medal says. I have never seen one with a 'clasp' on it.

I'm not sure. I might take the blonde, but dont tell my wife! (or brunette- I am partial to brunettes) Haha.

I see that there are 2 stars on the Navy Cross. Did he win more than one ? Wonderful stuff by the way. From a collecting standpoint that group is like a blonde bomb shell falling madly in love with you and she has money to burn. No it is better than that . It is a treasure. Thanks for showing it. Can you get pics of the backs of the medals that are in your uncles possession ?

Thanks for the posting'

M.

Yeah, it needs to be on the American Defense medal. It must have been issued seperately and the clasp was mistakenly added to the WWII Victory.

-Ski

Great. Thanks for the info. I will make sure that is changed.

m

Yeah, it needs to be on the American Defense medal. It must have been issued seperately and the clasp was mistakenly added to the WWII Victory.

-Ski

That's an incredible group of awards. I've never heard of a triple Navy Cross awardee. That's simply amazing!

Not to pick a nit, and maybe someone with more knowledge than me might correct me, but I think the ribbon rack you have is not in the proper order.

It is an IMPRESSIVE rack!

You are correct. I asked on a separate thread about the order & I got it sorted out. Also, the Navy cross ribbon is actually a Vietnam Galantry ribbon. But I just got the NC one in the mail today! So I am almost done recreating the medals. Hopefully the two gold stars will be here soon.

thanks,

michael

Here is another picture of him.

post-54671-1315361330.jpg

Kim,

Here are close ups of the back of the dolphins badge. On the back it says, "Roll of Honor, LL Edge, Bonefish 10K". I think this is solid gold vs th plating as those usually say 1/20 or something like that.

Not sure what the Roll of Honor means? We have another one that has my grandmother's name on it.

Thanks fo rteh question.

Michael

Wow! Great group and thanks for sharing!

Can you show closeups front & back of his dolphin badge? Would love to see how it is engraved!

Thanks!

Kim

post-54671-1315361603.jpg

post-54671-1315361649.jpg

Here is an up close of the front. I knew it said solid gold somewhere. It was in the box.

Michael

Kim,

Here are close ups of the back of the dolphins badge. On the back it says, "Roll of Honor, LL Edge, Bonefish 10K". I think this is solid gold vs th plating as those usually say 1/20 or something like that.

Not sure what the Roll of Honor means? We have another one that has my grandmother's name on it.

Thanks fo rteh question.

Michael

post-54671-1315363339.jpg