Presidential Pilot grouping

manayunkman

Here is an interesting grouping I got last year.

Several years ago I was at the post office shipping some ebay sales. As I am unloading packaged quality collectibles from my trunk a car pulls in next to me. The license plate has a frame around it with the picture of a helicopter. So I say " Mam " to the lady " Someone serve in a helicopter unit in your family ? " a conversation ensued and we exchanged phone numbers. I never called. Seven years later I get a call. It is the lady I met at the PO. She and her husband are moving to Florida and they have a bunch of stuff they want to get rid of including some of her husbands military items. I was there in less than an hour.

Turns out that he was in HMM-164 and several other units during the Vietnam war. I went with him to the basement where he showed me a bunch of Navy uniforms. He was in the Navy first and I bought it all. Then he brought me over to a cedar closet with 3 G-1 jackets. His Nam jacket and 2 post war jackets. I got the 2 post war ones and then discovered the Presidential shield patch. It was then that I found out that he flew helicopter 1 and served both Carter and Reagan. I managed to get a few other things as well as some antiques and collectibles. Here is the grouping minus one jacket.

post-51189-1315193772.jpg

Croix de Guerre

Fantastic and historically significant grouping! Can you please share some photos of the rest of the group? Did your man have anything to say about Pres. Carter or Reagan? Where you able to get any photos of him with the presidential chopper or the presidents?

Fantastic and historically significant grouping! Can you please share some photos of the rest of the group? Did your man have anything to say about Pres. Carter or Reagan? Where you able to get any photos of him with the presidential chopper or the presidents?

Dear Croix,

This is all I have with me right now. The rest is a long drive but will make it hopefully before years end. I did not get any photos and that is my bad. I dropped the ball and by the time I got back to him he turned all to family members. He did say that Carter was a micro manager and Reagan was a hands off delegator.

M.

• 8 years later...
manayunkman

I love going to the post office.

One day I met an Air Force Colonel who proceeded to tell me that he worked for Blue Book.

He had a ton of UFO paperwork at home but would only let me look through it.

He told me that some UFOs are so big that they fill the sky.

You be the judge.