Army & Navy Union

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann

Army and Navy Union

My wife recently found this photo ( Taken in Ohio) in an antique mall! It is of a veteran wearing the generic uniform of the 1930’s which nearly all veterans seem to wear in the photos I have seen. Each has a Sam Brown type belt and the proper organizational insignia sewn on. In this case the man was a member and commander in the Army and Navy Union based on the medals he is wearing. The medals are an Army and Navy Union membership medal with a four star brooch, a Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal and below these is a pin back cross with a skull in the center much like a German Frei Korps or White Russian award. I assume it is also an Army and Navy Union award since it has the initials “A & N U “ on the arms of the cross. The Cross looks like it is enameled. Can anyone here tell us more about this unusual cross? Thanks, Fred

post-591-1315156115.jpg

post-591-1315156203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fred,

An excellent photo. The four stars on white enamel indicate a present National Commander. Assume this photo is sent to all Garrisons to be hung on the wall . The only references I have seen for the Skull Badge have listed it as a membership badge/award for the Order of the Skeletons, Order of the Skull and Bones and Order of the Firing Squad. Not sure which name is accurate. The group is the honor society of the Army Navy Union similiar to the Cooties, 40/8, Trench Rats, etc. Believe the A&NU is currently reviving the society.

There is a reference to the badge in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society for November-Decenber 1999, Vol 50, Number 6. It illustrates a similar badge with a star burst (sun burst) between the cross arms.

Fred,

An excellent photo. The four stars on white enamel indicate a present National Commander. Assume this photo is sent to all Garrisons to be hung on the wall . The only references I have seen for the Skull Badge have listed it as a membership badge/award for the Order of the Skeletons, Order of the Skull and Bones and Order of the Firing Squad. Not sure which name is accurate. The group is the honor society of the Army Navy Union similiar to the Cooties, 40/8, Trench Rats, etc. Believe the A&NU is currently reviving the society.

There is a reference to the badge in the Journal of the Orders and Medals Society for November-Decenber 1999, Vol 50, Number 6. It illustrates a similar badge with a star burst (sun burst) between the cross arms.

Thanks Frederick !!