circa 1930's EGA Officer, beautifully vaulted - Roy M. Johnston, USMC

jmar

Hello everyone,

First I'd like to say the EG&A is my favorite insignia, such history and variation, one could spend a lifetime collecting and cataloging. Good reference is hard to find, but this forum has changed that with an abundance of material!

I know these are not overly rare by far, but what makes them special to me is the interaction I had with the seller.

The hat badge is marked HH in the eagle, and the collar devices are marked the same HH with addition of Imperial...Hilborn & Hamburger, nothing shocking here.

This set is QUITE vaulted, the wings are very cocky! So now here's the really cool part. I won these in 2 separate auctions from the same seller, who IDed herself as the vet's daughter. I wrote to her and asked if she would mind sharing some info about her dad with me. She seemed thrilled to open up and gave me some great info AND sent along to me a photo of her as a young girl with her dad. To me this is as good as it gets, touching history on a personal level. She was selling some of her dad's stuff to help her 86 year old mother. I do believe they kept much of the important material, which made me very happy.

So with no further ado, I'd like to present these photos and honor the vet to whom they belonged:

Lt Col. Roy N. Johnston USMC 1928 to 1956

Enlisted 1928, originally from Batesville, Arkansas. A Mustang, who retired a Lt Col in 1956.

My best to all,

Joe

post-48324-1315083843.jpg

Great set with provenance.

I ran them through Photoshop to bring out some detail -

post-214-1315084486.jpg

Thank you! They look much clearer now. :thumbsup:

Lovely set of birds, Joe! Nice to have a name & a back story on these otherwise anonymous insignia. BTW the vaulted wings on these M-1937 type H&H officer hat badges are typical.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

Superb set, to be cherished, just as I value those passed down to me! Especially since they have the name and career to go with them...