Lightweight Rucksack question

collector

Here's some shots of a Lightweight Rucksack w/ frame. It was owned by Col. Ditta, USMC, and was with a 1950 dated Ames e-tool, with swivel backed cover (shown in topic 'E-tool cover' on this forum). The marks on the frame tab read 'Market Forge Co,' and on the reverse 'Tubing 5086-H32'. The tag in the rucksack dates it November 1962. Any comments would be appreciated.

post-1414-1194843875.jpg

Greg Robinson

It's a very early lightweight Rucksack, most were made during the Viet Nam war. I once had a brand new one purchased in the 1970's from an army surplus store. It was dated 1972, so they made those for a long time.

craig_pickrall

The first model as far as I can determine was made in 1962. At that time the majority were used by Special Forces. The early frames were all welded. In 1965 the production expanded and this became more of a general issue pack. These had frames that were pop-riveted together. I think from your pic that you have the riveted frame with the early bag. I have the manual and assembly sheets for these photographed but have never posted them. If you have questions please ask and I will try to answer them.

Actually the frame is all welded. So this may be the first version of the rucksack/frame?

It came with a Davis-buckle belt, I'll get any marks off of that and post them.

Here's the Davis type belt that came with the ruck and frame, with the marks. The writing is the same on both parts of the buckle.

I would like to see the assembly sheets you have, these things are very complicated.

post-1414-1195448650.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is the correct waist belt for the first version of the pack. I will post the manual and rump'y sheets for you.

Thanks very much! I do have the rifle support and some other straps, maybe finally I can get this thing together. I see the riveted frame in the instructions, mine is definitely welded.

• 1 year later...

I have a cargo shelf that goe onto the LW frame but it is different to the common ones.

Is it an early one or a late one - I don´t know think.gif

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg

Its deffinetly not an early LW ruck shelf. The early ones only had 2 cargo strap slots.

The shape is a bit different than LW ruck shelves and the holes are like the ones on ALICE pack shelves. I would say its for some kind of ruck made right after the LWs, or maybe a very late LW rucksack shelf