WW2 GI on a motorcycle

StevenL

I found this photo at a flea market a little while ago and for $5 figured it was worth picking up. I don't know anything about motorcycles so I assumed it was an Army bike he's sitting on but after trying to ID it I don't think that's the case. Maybe it's one he was using during some R&R. It's too bad the SSI isn't more visible...

post-22-0-39711400-1402854377.jpg

post-22-0-04481300-1402854380.jpg

craig_pickrall

I don't know much about bikes either but that looks like a siren below the lights. I can't guess if it is a military or civilian police bike.

Johan Willaert

It's not a siren but rather the standard horn with the high headlight bracket used on 41WLA and Type I 42WLA models.

I believe it's an Army model and it looks like a Type I 41WLA with added headlights and for some reason it has glossy paint.

More on 41 and 42 WLA models here:

http://www.theliberator.be/liberator1.htm

Thanks for posting that URL Johan, there's quite a wealth of info there about motorcycles. It will be a good one to bookmark. I'm glad to know it really is a military bike. Perhaps the glossy paint job could signify MP use? Just a guess since the GI's uniform really doesn't give many hints.

Cool picture! Unfortunately I have no idea about the meaning of the SUMMIT sign. Is that a Panama Canal Dept patch on his left shoulder?

Cool picture! Unfortunately I have no idea about the meaning of the SUMMIT sign. Is that a Panama Canal Dept patch on his left shoulder?

Great photo. The one thing I noticed is how accurate the powers to be were able to record the summit elevation: 312.8. .8? Was it that important to get that .8 on there... :think: Maybe there is some significance to the elevation?

Zeph

Johan Willaert
Thanks for posting that URL Johan, there's quite a wealth of info there about motorcycles.

Thanks! That's my personal website by the way...

Is that a Panama Canal Dept patch on his left shoulder?

Looking at it more closely I can certainly see the similarities but unfortunately that's as clear as I can get the SSI in the scans.

Great photo. The one thing I noticed is how accurate the powers to be were able to record the summit elevation: 312.8. .8? Was it that important to get that .8 on there... :think: Maybe there is some significance to the elevation?

Zeph

I thought the same thing about the summit elevation and hoped I'd be able to ID the location with it, but had no luck.

I thought the same thing about the summit elevation and hoped I'd be able to ID the location with it, but had no luck.

I spent some time looking for significant elevations at 312.8 feet, but had no luck as well. I thougth for sure I would be able to find some type of reference to something that specific... :ermm: ...it really does have me intrigued....

Zeph