A Vietnam era Seaplane Tender Patch

Patchcollector

Here is another patch I found online

Beutiful patch. I'm sure the symbolism of the blue bird is appreciated by all here. The really great thing with Navy ships patches is that with a long serving ship, there were many different variations of the patches, special patches made up to commerate some event, patches made up by individual divisions and on and on. You could continue to collect patches from the smae ship for a long time and not get them all.

Steve Hesson

Patchcollector
As I look at the list, I was looking at photos of the Barnegat class. I remember seeing the wones that were sold to Viet Nam after they escaped to the Phillipenes. They wer beached at the Subic Naval base with other former SVN Navy ships. All WW2 vets. Later, I operated in exercises with them. Funny how things turn.

Steve Hesson

Hey Steve,yes,it almost makes me sick to think about how some of the great ships ended up.Some were captured,and are in service with the North Vietnamese Navy;

which reminds me,I have some PG boat patches I'm going to be posting soon.

Patchcollector
Beutiful patch. I'm sure the symbolism of the blue bird is appreciated by all here. The really great thing with Navy ships patches is that with a long serving ship, there were many different variations of the patches, special patches made up to commerate some event, patches made up by individual divisions and on and on. You could continue to collect patches from the smae ship for a long time and not get them all.

Steve Hesson

Yes,I agree,it is a beauty! :) It's neat to see how the ships evolved;where they went,and some even changed from one type to another.Some ships served for 50 years or so!

Even though I was in the Air Force,I find myself picking up alot of Navy patches just for their beauty,and variety!

Great thread about a unit I knew nothing about! Thanks for the education! :hug:

Years ago I found a USN bracelet that belong to a sailor on the Pine Island during WWII.

I'll take a photo and attach it here.

What a cool Ship, didn't know about sea plane ships until I can across the bracelet.

Cheers

Leonardo

Patchcollector
Great thread about a unit I knew nothing about! Thanks for the education! :hug:

Thanks Howard!Hearing from you always brings a smile to my face :)

I love your posts. You go the extra mile. Yes the patch is very nice but what you put into it makes the whole thread outstanding. I hope you are keeping all this info for a book.

Thanks for all you do.

M.

Patchcollector
I love your posts. You go the extra mile. Yes the patch is very nice but what you put into it makes the whole thread outstanding. I hope you are keeping all this info for a book.

Thanks for all you do.

M.

Well thanks M.!You made my night! :) I always like to dig into the "story" behind the emblem,

and I love photo blogs,so I always try to find some pics to go along with my posts.

You are correct,the patch is cool,but it's the people,places,and equipment that

goes along with the patch that really makes it interesting!

Patchcollector
Years ago I found a USN bracelet that belong to a sailor on the Pine Island during WWII.

I'll take a photo and attach it here.

What a cool Ship, didn't know about sea plane ships until I can across the bracelet.

Cheers

Leonardo

Hi Leonardo,yes the Seaplane Tenders were very neat ships!I would like to see the bracelet,thanks! :)