WW1 US Soldiers with german POW´s

Marksman

Hello,

here a picture with german POW´s and two American Soldiers.

I found this Picture on the Flea market.

On the back is an address.:

Hector Lang

322 West 5th St.

Dover Ohio

Tuscarawas County USA

July 2. 1919 France

Greetings

Stefan

post-54820-1314980237.jpg

post-54820-1314980244.jpg

Now that is really a great photo. Everyone seems pretty relaxed in the photo. I like the prisoner in the middle with his arms out posing or goofing off...it appears. Probably he was very happy to be alive and out of the action! I also like seeing the gear on the US soldier on the right side of the photo.

Zeph

Yes you have right, i like this Photo to. No one was an enemy now, the most are looking happy, some Soldiers are smiling too.

The US Soldier on the left (arms behind) maybe an officer? The US Soldier on the right, did he have a bushwhacker?

Greetings

Stefan

Yes you have right, i like this Photo to. No one was an enemy now, the most are looking happy, some Soldiers are smiling too.

The US Soldier on the left (arms behind) maybe an officer? The US Soldier on the right, did he have a bushwhacker?

Greetings

Stefan

No doubt, I'd be smiling as well! One can only imagine what these soldiers on both sides witnessed. The soldier on the right has what I believe is a 1905 bayonet on his '03 Springfield rifle with the scabbard on his left side. Is that what you are calling a "bushwacker" or is it another article of his uniform? I would say that "yes" the soldier with his arms behind him is an officer. One officer and two soldiers...that seems like the ratio...haha...just kidding.

Zeph

Great photo.

And you will notice the man on the right is wearing straight leg trouser and no puttees.

RC

Great observation. I didn't notice that the first time I looked at the photo. One doesn't see that very often in WWI period photos...or I haven't seen it a lot for that matter. However, it seems to fit the somewhat relaxed atmosphere of the photo in general.

Zeph

Okay, am I imagining things, or is that a German soldier on the left side also holding a rifle and a bayonette? Or is it another GI with a German hat on?

Okay, am I imagining things, or is that a German soldier on the left side also holding a rifle and a bayonette? Or is it another GI with a German hat on?

Hard to say if he's a German or if he's just wearing one of the POW's feldmutze.

Since it's postwar, and with the relaxed mood noted it may be that he got to hold it for the photo if it's really a German. Either way it's a US M1917 rifle.

RC

Thanks for the many replys. I belive that the soldier on lie left (with the rifle) are an US Soldier with an german Krätzchen. He has a ammunition pocket on his hip.

@ zepher11

Yes that i mean.

I have addet a closeup of the Soldier with the rifle and the Krätzchen.

Greetings

Stefan.

post-54820-1315028858.jpg