Handmade silver EGA

kanemono

I picked up a beautiful full dress cover made by Kassan-Stein, Washington D.C. which seems to have solid gold thread oak leaves and acorns. The great thing about it is the hand made silver EGA. The eagle and globe are thin hand chased silver the anchor is cut from thicker silver. The rope is made from a thin silver strip which is twisted. The rope was mercury gilded. Is this from the 1930's. I thought the EGA might be Chinese made? What do you think?

Dick

I will photograph the cover tomorrow.

post-9487-1314919707.jpg

post-9487-1314919723.jpg

post-9487-1314919736.jpg

Beautiful emblem! :thumbsup: As Brig pointed out it is a circa 1900 production and quite Rare! The beautiful cover is at least approximately 35 years newer. :thumbsup:

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Thank you. I was quite thrilled when I saw the EGA. The thing that amazes me about the cover itself is the bright gold of the oak leaves and acorns. For a piece from the 1930's the gold is as bright as it was new. I think the gold wire is solid high caret gold. Here is a identified cover a couple of years later (WWII) where the gold is tarnished and dull. the EGA is from the 1930's with the gold polished off. The officer was Clayton Osborne Totman who served in Shanghai in the 1930's and was at Soochow Creek. I have all of his paperwork from 1935 to 1942 (the group was broken up by someone), photographs of him and his men at Soochow Creek, his Field Message Book with all of his messages at Soochow Creek, his map case with Shanghai maps (the exact one in the photographs) a full set of his 1930's EGA's, this cover, his ID'ed swagger stick and his miniature medals including a named silver Korean Ulchi medal. I also have copies of his letters home describing the Soochow Creek actions. I will post this group as soon as I can.

Dick

post-9487-1314976544.jpg

post-9487-1314976570.jpg

post-9487-1314976661.jpg

normaninvasion

Dick, Great items! Can't wait to see the grouping and hear his story. Question: Is it possible that the 1900 era ega was worn on the 30s era cap? I imagine it would really push the regs?

I am trying to learn all I can about EGA's. So I am not questioning this one at all. I am honestly just trying to learn. I LOVE seeing EGAs and learning about them.

To me, the bottom of the anchor looks extremely large on this one. I seem to recall seeing another EGA on here with the same type of large anchor and it was considered a fantasy piece. Is there a distinguishing feature on this one that tells everyone that it is an authentic pre-1900 jeweler made EGA?

Thanks so much for any help! This is a beautiful EGA! Congrats....Kat

I have no idea how regulations would be enforced in the 1930's but this probably was the EGA that he wore as a Lt. and Capt. It would be the same as a Lt. Col today wearing his EGA from the 1980's.

Kat, I am not an expert on EGA's so I can't answer your question.

Dick

I am trying to learn all I can about EGA's. So I am not questioning this one at all. I am honestly just trying to learn. I LOVE seeing EGAs and learning about them.

To me, the bottom of the anchor looks extremely large on this one. I seem to recall seeing another EGA on here with the same type of large anchor and it was considered a fantasy piece. Is there a distinguishing feature on this one that tells everyone that it is an authentic pre-1900 jeweler made EGA?

Thanks so much for any help! This is a beautiful EGA! Congrats....Kat

most jeweler emblems had larger anchors, I believe I remember the piece you were referring to when someone tried to fake an early emblem by using an early Naval insignia

normaninvasion
I have no idea how regulations would be enforced in the 1930's but this probably was the EGA that he wore as a Lt. and Capt. It would be the same as a Lt. Col today wearing his EGA from the 1980's.

Have you sent for his file? Look's like a great project!

most jeweler emblems had larger anchors, I believe I remember the piece you were referring to when someone tried to fake an early emblem by using an early Naval insignia

Brig,

Thanks so much for the help. I think it was an early Naval insignia. You have a better memory than me!

....Kat

Brig,

I found the old post on here. You are correct. It was a Navy anchor. After looking thru the other thread, seeing those anchors, then seeing this real one, I can see the quality is much better on this one. Thanks for helping me find this thread again.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...5101&st=140

....Kat