Civil War Named Corps Badges

CaptA

Hello, I'm new to the US Militaria forum in general and this is my first post in this, Veterans Organizations forum in particular. I wanted to share my passion which is Civil war Corps badges. The ID badge on the bottom, last pics, came directly from the Veterans great great grandson with the same surname and Is a combat , On the uniform worn piece from the 4th New York heavies who saw action after their long stint of DC guard duty when the were attached to the Army of the Potomac 6th Army corps in the spring of 1864. They saw action at The Wilderness, Spotsylvania , Cold Harbor etc all major engagements the to the end at Appomattox .

The Solid Gold Corps Badge is from the 46th Reg Mass Vol Militia that was part of the Star brigade of the 18th Army Corps in North Carolina. The owner of the Badge DJ Marsh was a 2nd Lt he was assistant Adjutant General to Gen Horace C. Lee brigade commander and also served on the staff Of Gen John A. Dix and gen John G. Foster. Interesting to note that His Company, Company A had a MOH winner from action at Newbern NC. It was save from a gold scrapers pile. Note the scratches on the back of the badge where he tested the gold content what a dumb A@##!

The other 18th Corps badge is from Orson Moulton 25th Mass Vol who was promoted to LT COL in 1863. He was wounded and captured at Cold Harbor on June 3 1864. Six months later in Dec 1864 he was released in a prisoner exchange. A month later he retired from active service. he also was a member of MOLLUS. This corps badge looks as if at some point it was pocket carried and used as a watch fob this would account for some surface wear from pocket carrying and polishing over time. I wonder what the top hanger looked like! The engraving on both sides is superb! with a high power loop you can see the engravers marks as well as the years of wear that has slightly smoothed them. It is solid coin silver.

This enameled 6th corps badge is one of my favorites. it was found by a friend/garbage picker in a curb pile. It has superb enamel work and is made from coin silver which accounts for the orange color to the enamel. it is engraved on the back to a private Henry Ziegler ,(who interestingly was a jeweler by trade in civilian life, wonder if he made these pieces himself?) in Company E 82nd Regt PV It was found with this watch fob made from the center of a GAR badge and a jeweler made solid gold bezel. He was in the odd fellows and the name of the lodge is on the reverse of the bezel.

goldcorps006.jpg<P>

goldcorps001.jpg<P>

goldcorps009.jpg<P>

corpspics024.jpg<P>

corpspics033.jpg<P>

corpspics002.jpg<P>

corpspics017.jpg<P>

corpspics020.jpg<P>

corpspics020.jpg<P>

While not named, this is my Civil War corps badge for a soldier in the 14th Corps, 2nd Division. Among other places, this piece was likely a veteran of Sherman's March to the Sea... :thumbsup:

I don't think that most of the community here can totally appreciate the rarity of all Civil War corps badges. They can range from the mundane, to works of art. Prices also run from the hundreds to the thousands. Somewhere here I also have a silvered 3rd Corps badge.

Very nice pieces, not often seen!

post-2801-1314831528.jpg

post-2801-1314831542.jpg

Thank you gentlemen. yes they can be quite beautiful but expensive. So many unique and one of a kind items you can spend a life time collecting corps badges each one being unique.

Nice 14th corps badge! I would like to see more. I will post some more that I own or once owned.

"In his farewell address

to his troops on June 15, 1865, Brigadier General Jefferson C. Davis, the 14th corps commander,

stated to his troops that they should fondly remember that they "fought and marched with

Sherman and Thomas; "I belonged to the Acorn Corps"!

The 7th Corps is interesting in that it looks like it may have been fashioned from a coin - not an uncommon practice at all. The 7th Corps was also one of the smaller corps, making this a somewhat scarcer badge to find.

Very nice!

corps004.jpg<p>

CaptA:

This 6th Corps badge is very cool...incorporating the red of the 1st Division and the green of when the Corps briefly formed a "Light Division" that included the 6th Maine, 5th Wisconsin, 43rd New York, 61st Pennsylvania and 3rd NYLA.

Very cool badge.

John

My hat's off to all of you who have posted these wonderful examples of corps badges. They are most impressive! I'm afraid that most who see these badges, won't fully appreciate their rarity and significance. Worse yet, being in this section of the forum, they are bound to be overlooked by the patch and medal collectors.

I am truly in awe of these pieces.

Allan

These Corps badges are outstanding. I especially love the use of a coin to fabricate the 7th Corps badge.

This is what I love about collecting. I would have never started a collection of Corps badges, but I really, really, really enjoy seeing the ones you have encountered and owned over the years!

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

You guys have some outstanding badges :bravo: I also thought it interesting that some of the hinge and pins look like WW1 German IC ones, pretty neet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
SCF-Collector

Never thought I'd own a named Corps Badge but when a 6th Corps Maryland piece was offered to me I just had to have it. I am a sucker for a Maryland piece - even if it is Yankee - especially when there's a West Virginia connection as well.

post-1293-1322441700.jpg

This badge belonged to Alexander Leeds. He enlisted 8-2-1862 as a Private and was mustered into Company H, 6th Maryland Infantry. He was mustered out 6-20-1865 at Washington, DC. He was wounded at Winchester 9-19-64 (shot in the back) but returned to service before the end of the war. He was promoted to Sergeant and then 1st Lieutenant on 2-21.1865. My initial research indicates he carried the ball in his back the rest of his life - it eventually led to intermittent paralysis and other health problems. He resided in WV after the way - and is buried there in the Grafton National Cemetery. He died in 1912 at the age of 68.

Oh well, at least now I can say I've owned a named Corps Badge <g>.

• 2 weeks later...