USMC CHINA MARINE TIENSIN HQ Co EGA BADGE

kanemono

williamsmilitaryrelics

Hi,

Nope, I didn't...

I sold them Sunday and got my new camera Tuesday.... I hate to say it but business first...I didn't see myself tell the guy to comeback because I had to take some pictures, I may have done that in the past, before I became a "professional dealer", I like to turn around my stuff quick.

I'm also not a very good photo keeper... specially on the stuff I used to collect, I changed my collection's theme 3 times in my life and always erase or through away any pictures on file.

For me it's a simple reason, what you are going to do with your photos... check them back from time to time...and CRY...

"I should have keep that", "OMG, I had that too..", nah... it's not good for my health, sometime just by remembering it's bad enough, so I applied this rule to myself very early, "SOLD", move on...

but hey...that's me.

Will

normaninvasion
Will:

Did you take any photographs of the Chinese markings on the back of your Company D plate?

I believe it was a Chinese coin. I think there is a post here that shows Chinese coins being used behind rollers for egas.

The fact that all three had the same green oxidized Chinese coin was a troubling aspect overall for me. The coins (probably made from copper) were overly aged compared to the diamonds, which should be made of brass (it tarnishes as well). What I am getting at, is the coins and EGAs should not be looked at as indication of the authenticity of the diamonds. They are quite often added and changed, and could have been added to "sell" these as being "China" related. I have received EGAs not sold as China related with coin backings, so it was a practice done in China. I have handled thousands of EGAs and have had maybe 2 or 3 that I know, for sure, were used by China Marines and used Chinese coins as washers. But to have the exact same coin on more than one of these diamonds (as well as an EGA that predates China diamonds by 15 years) would lead me to believe that these were added.

S/F,

Mike

I believe it was a Chinese coin. I think there is a post here that shows Chinese coins being used behind rollers for egas.

I posted one awhile back that used a Japanese coin...was that it?

normaninvasion

I posted one awhile back that used a Japanese coin...was that it?

I tried digging and came up with nada, thought I remember a thread here or a pic on Dirk's site with the coins in use. I couldn't find your post either :think:

I think one of our members years ago bought a 1897 service cap with a Chinese coin behind it. As pointed out above, in China using a coin was just not that common...If I recall Gary M (who had a very nice collection), I think only had one EGA back with a Chinese coin example.

Re: My web site....sadly it does not show coin backed EGA, but does show a good example of a true Chinese made EGA from one of our Mod's collection.

Dirk I never did get that pic of the M1912 officers EGA to you that has the coin washer to it. I need to do so. I got it from Dennis J. He never even told me about the coin as I bought it just for the fact that it was a WWI officers EGA and the coin was a surprise that was on there when I got it and was on there when Dennis got it, before that I can't undoubtedly say but a very cool piece and it is what it is. I'll try and remember to shoot that image to you. Sorry for dropping the ball

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Kevin- np....there is always a spot on the web site for images of that!!!!....Dennis has so many nice things it is understandable why he may have forgotten to mention it! BTW the China Marine documentary is close to completion and I am filmed along with Mike Miller and Rick Spooner. SO looking forward to seeing how it turns out....I know how mike looks on camera but never been on myself. :think:

Outstanding Dirk! I'm looking forward to it, I know you've done some pretty amazing work and research about China Marines rivaled by very few as I think you've set the bar in bringing their story out into the forefront! I'm very excited to see it my friend.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Gents, here is an EGA and Chinese coin from my collection, it came on an 1898 dated dress blue enlisted cap. No questions, it is the real deal. It is very easy to add a coin and try to say that an EGA belonged to a China Marine. You have to look at your source, and look at the materials to see if the age is right and matched.

S/F,
Mike
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

normaninvasion

That is a great example! Thanks for posting.

To clear up any confusion, I was unable to find any examples posted on the Forum, my reference must have come from elsewhere?