Vietnam

swed

Just like to share pictures from some of my travels around Vietnam. The earliest are from 2004 and the latest from 2007. Sadly, allot of photos from 2005 is missing because the memorycard broke and just a handful of photos was saved(and those was som of the best ones!!!). But i hope you like the rest of them!

The first ones is from the former base Gio Linh not far from Dong Ha. These ones is from 2005

IMG_0001.jpg

07.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

02.jpg

Remains of a poncho, Gio Linh

09.jpg

UXO, Gio Linh

08.jpg

Scrapyard near former base of Con Thien

10.jpg

11.jpg

Former base of Con Thien, 2005

DMZ.jpg

This is on the way to Con Thien.

ConThien.jpg

foxhole.jpg

Remains of a bunker

15.jpg

15.jpg

Command bunker?(French?)

14.jpg

Graffiti inside bunker at Con Thien, i think it say "LOWE CALIFORNIA"

17.jpg

pices of litter around the base. I think it contain a piece of flak vest, pieces of C-Rations and a piece of some mitcell pattern thingie.

Boot.jpg

bootsole Con Thien

Great stuff.

How much difficulty--if any--did you have traveling to and visiting the remote areas? I would love to visit in the next few years but I'd want to visit places like Con Thien, Khe Sanh, Dak To, Ia Drang etc.--places obviously off the beaten path.

I have seen a few websites where people say they have visited similar remote areas with varying degrees of success.

I was just wondering what your experience was visiting some of these remote areas.

Thanks.

Continue

Khe Sanh, former base area.

P3020240.jpg

Khe Sanh runway. Early morning 2007

P3020243.jpg

Young boy hearding cows, who i met at Khe Sanh

P3020239.jpg

P3020234.jpg

Khe Sanh UXO

Longhorn*

Its not really that difficult to go to areas of former bases, but i dont know how it's getting to places like la Drang. But if you got the money and physics and dont think there would be any problems. I have been to the central highlands, and is actually my favorite place in Vietnam. (But because my memorycard broke, all the pictures from there is gone!)

I usually rent a motorbike and go by my own, not only do you have the freedom to do what you like, go where you like but you also have the benefit to see another side of the country (something you really cant see through the windows of a bus). And when you get to a town(like Dong Ha), it's easy to find a guide to show you the places you like to see. Many times former ARVN soldiers will approach you and ask if you looking for a guide, and these are the guys to go with. They are cheaper the government guides, speak pretty good english and can tell you the true stories. Beside you are helping a vet that gets nothing from the government because the fought on the wrong side during the war.

Camp Carroll, 2007

P3010222.jpg

P3010228.jpg

P3010224.jpg

P3010229.jpg

P3010227.jpg

Any ideas what kind of UXO this is?

P3010226.jpg

Again, this weird Mitchell pattern plastic material. I found this on all former USMC bases.

Dong Ha. 2007

This is sadly the only two pictures i have from Dong Ha, rest of them got lost when the memorycard broke.

P3010218.jpg

P3010219.jpg

There is still a concrete hangar in the outskirts of town(in a crowded area) that show that there ones was a airbase here, but once again, i dont have any pictures of it...

I will try to find more pictures, i know i have more digital, and i have allot more analog pictures.

If there is any vets that have pictures of these areas during the war that would like to share, i think i would be really interesting to see what these areas looked like then.

Wow! I would love to Visit Viet Nam with my Dad who fought in the war in 1966.

I love Asia, and Viet Nam is one of my destinations one day.

Leonardo