WWI Grouping Camouflage Painted Helmet, Gas Mask, Belt

19delta-uav

Hello Fellow Collectors,

This grouping just came out of the woodwork 2 weeks ago. According to the family it had been underneath the staircase with a bunch of other junk in the basement since the 1930s or 1940s. It was in a WWI period Leather suitcase but the leather on the outside of the suitcase was dry and flaking all over the place so I had to get rid of it. These items have been very well protected for the past 90 years as one can see. I believe the helmet to be in such great shape by virtue of the fact that he and his unit never saw combat. I imagine him painting his newly issued helmet and waiting to go to the front, but that day never coming as the war ended. Both items are marked very well with his name and information. The belt came with the grouping but I have never seen anything like this and while it is heavy enough to have been of military use, I just dont know and would appreciate any information anyone can give me. I would also appreciate any information on Ross King that anyone can give or about his Unit Battery B of the 61st coastal artillery. I can't find much online about either. Thanks!

post-3881-1314727546.jpg

post-3881-1314727563.jpg

By one account they did make it overseas: http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestr...st_%20Arty.html

My apoligies for not being clear in my initital post, They did make it overseas, however the unit never made it to the front lines before the war ended. I understand why it took them so long too, they had to dismount giant shore guns and mount them on carriages. Simply amazing.

RustyCanteen

The CAC units are tough to find information on, several were ordered overseas but only a few made it there before the war ended.

I would agree that the 61st made it over, but beyond that will require more research. Usually the helmets were painted in between 11-1918/6-1919 when the majority of the AEF was being processed for a quick return, they were actually reissued new helmets and gas masks if they had already turned theirs in.

Nice grouping.

RC

RustyCanteen
My apoligies for not being clear in my initital post, They did make it overseas, however the unit never made it to the front lines before the war ended. I understand why it took them so long too, they had to dismount giant shore guns and mount them on carriages. Simply amazing.

You must have posted while I was composing my answer.

Their duty was an interesting one. You don't think of a CAC unit as fighting in a European land war.

RC

Helmet is great but the gasmask and belt add to the overall impression and are just as important. Thanks for sharing

Regards,

John

suwanneetrader

Very nice grouping. In the late 40's when I went to a YMCA camp one of the crafts was to take a wide piece of leather and cut it into strips and braid a belt. I had mine holding up my tool pouch until it was accidently sold in 2007 at our closing out the old homeplace auction. I will note that the cut edges on your example are much much straighter than mine. Richard

Great helmet grouping. CAC or not, you still gotta love those camo lids! The interior of the helmet is what strikes me, the liner and chin strap are near mint and nearly impossible to find in that good of condition! I've move this thread from the latest finds section to the helmet section where it more properly fits in.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the kind words. I paid a little more than what I would like for the grouping ($225) but I was stoked to add it to the collection being IDd and in such great shape. Like I said I must attribute the great condition of the helmet to the fact that he never made it to the front and therefore had little if any occasion to wear it, and the fact that it was packed away from the elements in a dry basement untouched for all of those years. I seldom see any wwi helmet in this shape let alone one with such a nice paint job. The only question that still remains is the belt. Were any armies of the era known to use a belt like this? Are there any cases where someone had found a belt like this in s grouping?

• 5 years later...