M-1917A1 to ACH.

Sabrejet

Great thread :thumbsup:

Makes me wonder what the next 80- 90 years will bring?..

Thanks Hitman. Well...whatever it might be, I certainly won't be around to post it!! :lol:

Thanks fellas. BTW....if other members have helmets to add extra detail to this thread then feel free to do so!

Ian :thumbsup:

Well, since you said it was OK to hijack, I thought I would jump in. I couldn't do the one on one like Ian because I still have WWI gear all tore apart in my display room, so I am going to show them as I have them displayed. I also have from 1917 to present, but I won't bore with the "old" stuff, but here is the line up to the PASGT's.

vov6hf.jpg

Here is the beginning of my PASGT's, the first two are the woodland first issue and the Desert Storm varient. Notice the huge plastic swing arm, we have come a long way since then.

2ibz4et.jpg

Here is the winter cover along with the early OIF issue with replacement four point suspension pad system.

1fh46p.jpg

Final PASGT is the ACU fill in before the ACH completely took over.

iqa1bo.jpg

Now, the ACH, woodland and desert sides.

el7kvd.jpg

This is the winter and standard ACU ACH's. The ACU has the vehicle communication set attached.

r02v04.jpg

Finally is a ACH with the MC cover bought from the PX, can't quite bring myself to pay $70 for a real helmet cover and the new improved ACH hasn't hit the street.

2j2vu54.jpg

Hey Hawk'...thanks for expanding the PASGT family. Great to see all of those variants with attached hardware plus covers!

Makes me wonder what the next 80- 90 years will bring?..

The end of civilization as we know it.(Maniacal laughter) Oh wait, you were talking about helmets... nevermind.

Finally is a ACH with the MC cover bought from the PX, can't quite bring myself to pay $70 for a real helmet cover and the new improved ACH hasn't hit the street.

I'm not familiar with the ACHs but I thought I saw some of the new ones posted here on this site. How can I tell the difference?

BEAR

Sabrejet,

Nice picture essay of the evolution of the US helmet. That Hawley liner is spectacular !!!!

Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Regards,

gus

I'm not familiar with the ACHs but I thought I saw some of the new ones posted here on this site. How can I tell the difference?

BEAR

The new improved ACH I mentioned looks exactly like the current issue ACH, the difference is that it is made of a material that is much more ballistically superior at stopping bullets, it is supposed to completely stop all small arms ammunition fired at it. Obviously, you will get your bell rung and probably a broken neck, but the helmet will stop the bullet. The only identifying measure is that the helmet comes from the factory painted coyote brown, otherwise, it is indistinguishable from regular ACH's.

Don't confuse the cut away helmets and the gun fighter helmets with what I am calling improved ACH's. While everyone wants to talk about these cutaway types of helmets, they are a relatively small percentage of the actual helmets used by the military.

The new improved ACH I mentioned looks exactly like the current issue ACH, the difference is that it is made of a material that is much more ballistically superior at stopping bullets, it is supposed to completely stop all small arms ammunition fired at it. Obviously, you will get your bell rung and probably a broken neck, but the helmet will stop the bullet. The only identifying measure is that the helmet comes from the factory painted coyote brown, otherwise, it is indistinguishable from regular ACH's.

Don't confuse the cut away helmets and the gun fighter helmets with what I am calling improved ACH's. While everyone wants to talk about these cutaway types of helmets, they are a relatively small percentage of the actual helmets used by the military.

Hey, are these the new ECHs (Enhanced Combat Helmets) I keep reading about in Army press releases? Apparently these will be made out of some time of high-grade ballistic plastic, and the project has been spearheaded by the Marine Corp, and largely funded by the Army. They were supposed to start being field this Fall. Apparently the new helmets will maintain the same basic design and configuration, with the exception of the helmet shells being slightly thicker and made from a different material.

Just looking for clarification, as there are a lot of factory painted tan ACH helmets on the market.

Hey, are these the new ECHs (Enhanced Combat Helmets) I keep reading about in Army press releases? Apparently these will be made out of some time of high-grade ballistic plastic, and the project has been spearheaded by the Marine Corp, and largely funded by the Army. They were supposed to start being field this Fall. Apparently the new helmets will maintain the same basic design and configuration, with the exception of the helmet shells being slightly thicker and made from a different material.

Just looking for clarification, as there are a lot of factory painted tan ACH helmets on the market.

Yes, it has been in press releases. There are tan painted helmets, but these are the coyote brown. From what I remember reading on it, there is no thickness difference, they are literally indistinguishible because they are using the same mandrel molds to make them.

Sabrejet,

Nice picture essay of the evolution of the US helmet. That Hawley liner is spectacular !!!!

Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

Regards,

gus

Thanks Gus and Bear!

Thanks for the reply. My son says all ACHs are serial numbered and can be traced. Must be an expensive piece of equipment to get that attention. I remember being able to buy new M1 pots from clothing sales for $9.00 apiece ... but you could get a used pot from Ranger Joe's in Columbus, GA for $5.00. My, my, how times have changed!

BEAR