Unusual Mess Kit Knife?

340MGBAT

for $2 bucks I couldn't pass this up, it's a normal mess kit knife but the handle is black Bakelite which I have never seen, any info on this would be great.

Is it rare? Who used these? and anything else.

6090932023_834118de0f_b.jpg

6090933357_037fb240d1_b.jpg

6091475092_5fb8ae9b5b_b.jpg

This is a discription from this website......... http://36thair3ad.homestead.com/AuthenticityStandards.html

"Can, Meat, M-1926, M-1932, or M-1942 with Knife, Fork, and Spoon, M-1926: This is the GI "mess kit." Early versions were made of steel, galvanized steel, or aluminum. The M-1942 version was made of stainless steel. The M-1926 utensils were virtually identical to earlier versions, but they were stamped out of stainless steel, and featured a slot, or cut-out in the handles to allow them to be slipped over the mess kit handle for cleaning. The wartime knives had a thicker plastic, bakelite or aluminum handle. Newer versions are straight stamped stainless steel."

B.A.R.gunner

I believe the handles were made of plastic and not aluminum to save metal for other things that were more important during the war

I own a couple of the bakelite handled mess kit knives as well. I had always heard that early on in wwii they tried using bakelite for the handles but soon had to go to all aluminum due to the fact that the bakelite handled knives were prone to breaking.

• 6 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have a bakelite mess knife I don't think they are rare as I see so many on eBay some say lf&c was the only maker but that's not true as I currently see other bakelite handled one's made by other known companies such as silco. Mine is unmarked but does have the u.s. on the handle.